HONOLULU, Hawai'i – For the second time in as many nights the King University men's volleyball teams squared off with a top 10 team at the Outrigger Resorts Invitational hosted by the University of Hawai'i. The Tornado took on eighth-ranked and 2015 national runner-up Lewis University, and the flyers took a 3-0 victory from King.
FINAL SCORE: #8 Lewis 3, King 0 (25-15, 25-18, 25-14)
LOCATION: Stan Sheriff Center, Honolulu, Hawai'i
RECORDS: King 0-2, Lewis 3-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King scored the first point before the teams traded runs. Lewis scored three straight points before Matthew Lychock gave King a sideout as the Tornado scored the next point to even the set at 3-3.
- However, the Flyers rolled off five straight points to take an 8-3 advantage and force a Tornado timeout.
- The King deficit stayed there until Lewis scored three straight points, opening up a 20-13 as the Flyers went on to take the set 25-15.
- The second set was tight in the early going, and Adrian Besson gave King a 7-6 lead with a kill.
- Lewis then opened up a 12-9 lead before Jeff Sprayberry sparked a 3-0 run with a kill. He followed it with a service ace as King went on to even the set at 12-12.
- However, Lewis scored the next three points to take control of the set. King couldn't get any closer that three points the rest of the set as the Flyers took the frame 25-18.
- The Flyers broke a 3-3 tie in the third set with a 3-0 run as the gradually extended their lead the rest of the set. Lewis took the final set 25-14, taking the match 3-0.
- Sprayberry led the Tornado with eight kills, five coming in the second set. He also posted a team-high five digs in the match.
- Jon Wheaton followed Sprayberry with five kills.
- Nick Drooker handed out 22 assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Patrick Lilly led the Flyers with 12 kills while Trevor Weiskircher followed with 11 kills.
- Giovanni LlinasRosa chipped in with 10 kills.
- Matt Yoshimoto handed out 35 assists to lead Lewis.
- The Tornado conclude play at the Outrigger Resorts Invitation on Sunday evening when they take on Harvard University. First serve is slated for 7:00 p.m. (ET)
- Lewis takes on host #7 Hawai'i on Sunday afternoon to conclude their weekend at the Outrigger Resorts Invitational.