TIGERVILLE, S.C. – The King University men's volleyball team had three players post career nights on Thursday night at North Greenville, but it wasn't enough for the Tornado to come away with a victory. The Tornado took the middle to sets to take a 2-1 lead, but the Crusaders staved off match points in the fourth set, taking the frame 28-26 before winning the fifth set 16-14 to take the match 3-2.
FINAL SCORE: North Greenville 3, King 2 (25-22, 23-25, 21-25, 28-26, 16-14)
LOCATION: Hayes Gymnasium, Tigerville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 2-6, 1-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- North Greenville scored the first four points of the first four points of the first set to gain the advantage. King made a run late in the frame, but the Crusaders held off the run to take the contest 25-22.
- In the second set, Jeff Sprayberry broke an 8-8 tie with a kill and started a quick spurt that gave King a 12-10 lead.
- Jon Wheaton and Sprayberry teamed up for consecutive kills, giving King a 25-23 set win to even the match at 1-1.
- The third set was even at 5-5 following a Sean Luhmann kill. The Tornado then grabbed the lead, and extended their advantage to 16-10.
- The Crusaders came back to get within 20-19 before the Tornado closed out the set. Sprayberry registered a kill and service ace before Luhmann ended the 25-21 victory with another kill.
- King looked to close out the match in the fourth set, scoring three straight points to take a 24-23 lead. However, the Crusaders bounced back to take a 26-25 lead.
- Sprayberry registered a kill, but the Crusaders scored the final two points to take the set 28-26 and keep the match alive.
- In the fifth set, North Greenville opened up a 10-5 lead before the Tornado started to work their way back.
- Luhmann cut the Tornado deficit to 13-11, and Sprayberry registered a kill to make the score 14-12. Wheaton pulled King within one at 15-14, but the Crusaders scored the final point to take the set 16-14 and the match 3-2.
- Sprayberry led King with 28 kills against seven errors on 54 attempts for an attack percentage of .407. He also posted eight digs in the match.
- Luhmann followed with 15 kills, hitting .387, while adding 13 digs for the double-double.
- Wheaton added 10 kills and six blocks.
- Drooker dished out 60 assists and registered a team-high 17 digs for the double-double.
FOR THE FOES
- Jon Childes posted 18 kills to lead North Greenville. He added 12 digs for the double-double.
- Luuga Vailu'U added 12 kills and Matthew McManaway chipped in with 10 kills.
- Dustin King posted a team-high 16 digs and Alexander Schnizing dished out 49 assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Sprayberry set a career-high with 28 digs, shattering his previous best of 14 set a season ago.
- Drooker also set career-highs with 60 assists and 17 digs. His previous career-highs were 51 assists and 15 digs, both set last year.
- Luhmann set a career-best for the second time this year with 15 kills.
- King is in action again on Tuesday night when they travel to Limestone College. First serve is slated for 6:00 p.m. in Gaffney, S.C.
- North Greenville plays at Erskine on Saturday.