BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team returned home on Wednesday evening and put together a solid team effort in a Conference Carolinas victory over Lees-McRae College. The Tornado hit nearly .400 and posted 11 blocks en route to the 3-0 win.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Lees-McRae 0 (25-11, 25-13, 25-18)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 7-20, 4-11 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 1-19; 0-13 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Adrian Besson got King off on the right foot with a kill to start the match, and Nick Drooker followed with an ace to give King a 3-1 lead.
- Matthew Lychock, Sean Luhmann and Jon Wheaton started a 5-0 King run with three straight kills to force a Bobcat timeout.
- The Tornado later rolled off five straight points, taking a 21-10 lead as they took the set 25-11.
- In the second set, King scored three straight points, capped by a Lychock kill to take an 11-6 advantage.
- King later scored seven straight points on a run that was started by two kills from Lychock and another from Luhmann. Dalton Johnson ended the spurt that gave King an 18-7 lead with a kill.
- Chandler Christy then gave the Tornado the 25-13 victory with another kill.
- The Bobcats jumped out to a lead in the third set, but King came back and used a 4-0 run to turn a 9-8 deficit into a 12-9 advantage.
- King extended their lead to 15-10 following a 3-0 spurt that saw Besson register a kill, Luhmann a block and Drooker post another ace.
- The Tornado later used a pair of 3-0 runs to take a 23-14 lead before they took the set 25-18 following a Julian Young kill that give King the 3-0 win.
- Luhmann led King with 10 kills, hitting .500 on the night.
- Jeff Sprayberry, Wheaton and Lychock all followed with five kills apiece. Lychock didn't make an error and posted his five kills on five attempts to go along with three blocks.
- Sprayberry posted a team-high five blocks and Wheaton followed with four.
- Drooker handed out 26 assists to go along with a team-high six digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Keenan Freitas led Lees-McRae with six kills and five digs.
- Mark Shayka followed with five kills and three digs.
- King will be in action again on Saturday when they host Coker College at 4:00 p.m.
- The Bobcats return to action on Friday when they host Coker.