BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team ran their winning streak to 13 matches on Friday night with a 3-1 victory over Emmanuel College. The Tornado were led offensively by Jon Wheaton who hit .556 in the match, pacing the high powered offense.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Emmanuel 1 (25-9, 25-20, 26-28, 25-17)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 23-2, 12-1 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 5-16, 3-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King set the tone early, taking the first set 25-9 behind a .684 team attack percentage.
- Eddie Moushikhian led King in the set with four kills, including two on an 11-0 Tornado run.
- King scored three straight points to force an Emmanuel timeout leading 10-5, and then the Tornado rolled off five more points to force another Lion timeout.
- King added three more points for the 11-0 run to take a commanding 18-5 lead in the first set.
- Kiel Bell recorded his third kill of the set, giving King the 25-9 victory.
- King played from behind early in the second set, and used a 6-2 run to gain separation at 17-12.
- Bell registered a pair of kills on the spurt and Wheaton capped the run with two of his five kills in the set.
- Emmanuel came back to get within 23-20, but the Tornado got a kill from Bell and block from Jeff Sprayberry and Wheaton to take the set 25-20.
- The Lions started the third set on a run, taking a 14-5 lead and forcing a Tornado timeout.
- King gradually worked their way back and evened the score at 21-21 following three straight points. Wheaton had a kill and an ace while Moushikhian capped the burst with a kill.
- The Tornado led 24-23, but the Lions closed the set on a 5-2 run to take the set 28-26.
- King used a 3-0 run early in the fourth set to gain separation and held their lead there through the majority of the frame.
- The Lions trailed 18-16 when the Tornado put the match away, scoring seven of the final eight points.
- King scored six straight points to have a chance at match point following kills from Moushikhian and Sprayberry.
- Sprayberry then gave King the 25-17 and 3-1 victory with his fourth kill of the set.
- Moushikhian led King with 13 kills to go along with seven digs.
- Wheaton added 12 kills and hit .556 to go along with seven blocks.
- Sprayberry added 11 kills, nine digs, four blocks and three aces.
- Bell chipped in with nine kills and eight digs.
- Nick Drooker handed out 43 assists and added seven digs.
- Jimmy Nuckolls led the defense with 12 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Gilberto Cervantes led Emmanuel with 13 kills and four digs.
- Ackeem West and Max Nua chipped in with eight kills apiece.
- Caleb Bonaventure handed out 34 assists to go along with seven digs.
- Stephen Diaz led the Lions with 10 digs.
- King hosts Erskine College at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Emmanuel travels to take on Lees-McRae College on Saturday.