LOS ANGELES, Calif. – Following a tough loss to host school UCLA on Friday night, the King University men's volleyball team split their games on Saturday. The Tornado started off the day by defeating McKendree University 3-1, but fell to UC San Diego in their second matchup 3-1.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, McKendree 1 (25-18, 18-25, 25-23, 26-24); UC San Diego 3, King 1 (25-19, 25-23, 26-28, 25-18)
LOCATION: John Wooden Center; Los Angeles, Calif.
RECORDS: King 1-2, McKendree 0-3, UC San Diego 2-0
HOW IT HAPPENED – MCKENDREE
- The first set began with both teams starting off strong. A 5-5 tie early in the set was broke when Jon Wheaton recorded a kill off of a Nick Drooker assist to take a 6-5 lead early.
- King went on a 6-1 run that was capped off with a Kiel Bell kill to give the Tornado a 14-8 lead over the Bearcats and force them into taking a timeout.
- The Tornado would not look back as they road their early lead to a 25-18 first set victory. Bell led the way in the first set with four kills while Drooker recorded 11 assists in the set.
- King jumped out to an early 4-2 lead in the second set after a Sean Kohlhase kill. However, the Bearcats would go on a 14-6 run to put the Tornado down 18-9.
- King would try to claw back into the set, but could not manage to regain the lead and would fall 25-18 to McKendree in the second set. Bell would record four more kills throughout the set.
- The Tornado got Jeff Sprayberry going early in this set as he recorded three kills in the first four points King recorded. However, even with Sprayberry starting off the set efficiently, the Bearcats hung around as the set went back and forth early on.
- King went on a 4-0 run that included three kills from three different players. Drooker was getting everyone involved during the run. The run forced the Bearcats to take a timeout as King took a 15-13 lead.
- Behind the trio of Bell, Sprayberry and Wheaton, the Tornado were able to close out the Bearcats 25-23 to take a pivotal third set. Drooker recorded 13 assists during the set.
- King and Mckendree traded points early in the fourth set until that was broke by a Bell kill to give the Tornado a 9-8 lead over the Bearcats.
- McKendree posted a 4-0 run to take a 20-16 late in the set, but following a timeout after the run, King posted a 6-0 run of their own to take a 22-20 lead.
- Following a Sprayberry kill and a Drooker and Dalton Johnson block at the net, the Tornado pulled out a 26-24 win in the fourth set. The set victory gave King the match win 3-1.
- Bell posts a career-high 15 kills to lead the Tornado.
- Sprayberry records 14 kills while Wheaton adds 11 kills.
- Drooker leads King with 45 assists, nine digs and four blocks.
FOR THE FOES
- Patrick Ross records 15 kills for the Bearcats while Nolan Rueter chips in 11 kills.
- Pasquale Fiduccia posts 45 assists and 7 digs for McKendree.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Bell recorded a career-high 15 kills in the win for the Tornado.
- Johnson posted a season best six blocks for King.
HOW IT HAPPENED – UC SAN DIEGO
- The Tornado started off slow in this one as they went down 5-1 early in the first set. However, they clawed their way back into the set and following a Sprayberry service ace King found themselves tied 10-10 with USCD.
- Using a 6-1 run late in the set, the Tritons took a 23-16 lead over the Tornado. UCSD would go on to close out the set 25-19. Bell led the way in set one for the Tornado recording 6 kills.
- In the second set, Wheaton recorded a kill to bring King within one point at 12-11. However, following this UCSD went on a 3-0 run to take a 15-11 lead.
- The Tornado posted a 3-0 run of their own to tie the set up 17-17, but following King's run, UCSD made a 4-0 run to take a 21-17 lead.
- King could not manage a comeback after the UCSD run and fell in the second set 25-23 to go down 2-0 in the match.
- The Tornado started the third set strong as they jumped out to an 11-5 lead on the Tritons. However, UCSD wouldn't go away quietly as they posted a 9-3 run midway through the set that cut the Tornado lead to 19-18.
- After going back and forth the rest of the set, King finally rattled off two straight points that gave them a 28-26 third set victory.
- King took another early lead in the fourth set after a Wheaton kill put the Tornado up 9-6.
- The Tritons made a 10-1 run midway through the set that gave them a 22-15 lead over King.
- The Tornado would eventually fall in the fourth set 25-18 and the match 3-1.
- Bell posts a career-high 17 kills as well as 13 digs to record his first double-double of the season.
- Drooker records 45 assists and 10 digs as he posts his first double-double of the season.
- Sprayberry and Johnson add nine kills each for the Tornado.
FOR THE FOES
- Tyler Syftestad leads the Tritons with 22 kills.
- Milosh Stojcic records 36 assists and four digs for UCSD.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Bell records a career-high 17 kills for the Tornado.
- Drooker and Bell both record their first double-doubles of the season.
- Johnson posts a career-high nine kills for King.
- King is in action again January 18 when they host Alderson Broaddus for a 7:00 pm start.
- McKendree takes on UCLA at 7:30 pm local time.
- UC San Diego hosts UC Merced on January 11.