BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team hosted Emmanuel College Saturday afternoon in a Conference Carolinas matchup. The Tornado offense was strong throughout the match and proved to be too much for the Lions as King swept Emmanuel in straight sets. In the win, Jeff Sprayberry recorded his 1,000th kill, a mark that has never been eclipsed by a King University men's volleyball player.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Emmanuel 0 (25-16, 25-18, 25-17)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 7-2, 4-0 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 2-6, 1-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set was close early on, but a 7-0 run midway through the set propelled the Tornado to a 19-12 lead. Kiel Bell finished off the run with a kill from Nick Drooker.
- A kill by Jon Wheaton followed by a kill by Bell finished off the Lions in the first set 25-16.
- Adrian Besson and Bell each recorded four kills in the set, while Wheaton posted three kills.
- Sprayberry took over in the second set as he posted eight kills on only 11 attempts. Sprayberry's seventh kill of the set gave the Tornado a 18-15 lead and was the kill that put him at the 1,000 mark.
- Wheaton and Bell teamed up for a block to finish off the Lions in the second set as King took the set 25-18.
- The Tornado jumped out to a 9-4 lead early in the third set following a Bell kill from Drooker.
- Another Bell kill gave King a 13-7 lead and forced an Emmanuel timeout.
- Drooker dished the ball around during the remaining points of the set as five different King players recorded a kill.
- A Lions error gave the Tornado the third set victory 25-17 and ultimately the match 3-0.
- Bell posted 13 kills and nine digs to lead the Tornado offense.
- Sprayberry recorded 12 kills and six digs for King.
- Drooker dished out 35 assists and had seven digs.
- Wheaton put up six kills and five blocks, while Besson chipped in seven kills for the Tornado.
FOR THE FOES
- Ackeem West led the way for the Lions with nine kills and two blocks.
- Alejandro Robles posted six kills and six digs, while teammate Don Thompson recorded six terminations.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Sprayberry became the first Tornado to eclipse the 1,000 kill mark.
- King has won 18 straight sets dating back to January 18.
- King hosts Coker College Saturday February 10 at 7:00 pm in a nonconference matchup.
- Emmanuel travels to Lincoln Memorial University Wednesday night.