BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team hosted Conference Carolinas foe North Greenville University Tuesday. The Tornado swept the Crusaders in straight sets and extend their consecutive sets won streak to an impressive 21 sets.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, North Greenville 0 (25-12, 25-20, 25-13)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 8-2, 4-0 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 5-8, 2-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado did not jump out to a big lead in this one that they have in previous contests, however, a Jeff Sprayberry kill from Nick Drooker gave King an 11-7 lead.
- King used a 7-1 run following the Sprayberry kill and a North Greenville point to extend their lead to 18-9.
- Another Sprayberry kill followed by two Crusaders attacking errors capped off the first set for the Tornado as they took it 25-12. Sprayberry recorded seven kills in the set to lead King.
- In the second frame, King jumped out to an early 6-1 lead on North Greenville. A Kiel Bell kill and Sprayberry service ace capped off the early run.
- The Crusaders did not cave, however, as they tested the Tornado throughout the remainder of the set until a kill by Jon Wheaton gave King their largest lead of the set since the early part of the set. The Tornado led 19-15 at this point.
- A series of Crusaders attacking errors allowed the Tornado to finish off the set and take the second frame 25-20. Bell and Sprayberry each recorded three kills in the set.
- The Tornado started off hot in the third set as they exploded out to a 12-2 lead over the visiting Crusaders. Adrian Besson capped off the run with back-to-back service aces.
- King found themselves on top of North Greenville 16-4 following a Wheaton kill.
- Julian Young and Adam Krzos both got into the offensive action with kills late in the third set, but a huge Sprayberry kill is what finished off the Crusaders 25-13 in the final set. King took the match in straight set for the seventh straight game.
- Sprayberry led King with 12 kills on the night.
- Bell recorded six kills along with eight digs while Wheaton added five kills and seven blocks.
- Drooker posted 25 assists and six digs for the Tornado.
FOR THE FOES
- Jackson Gilbert led the Crusaders with six kills.
- Jake Boldog recorded 16 assists, seven digs, and two kills for North Greenville.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Tornado extend their winning streak to seven games following the win tonight. Since returning from their trip to California, King has not only not lost a game, but have not lost a set.
- King has won 21 straight sets as they continue to extend the program record for most consecutive sets won.
- King hosts Limestone College February 20 at 7:00 pm in a Conference Carolinas matchup.
- North Greenville hosts Emmanuel College Friday, February 16.