CHICAGO, Ill. – The King University men's volleyball team traveled to take on the sixth ranked Loyola University Chicago Friday night. The Tornado stole the third set from the Ramblers, but Loyola proved to be too much as they defeated King 3-1.
FINAL SCORE: Loyola 3, King 1
LOCATION: Gentile Arena; Chicago, Ill.
RECORDS: King 11-4, 8-1 Conference Carolinas; Loyola 14-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado trailed early, but a Jeff Sprayberry kill cut the King deficit to 9-6 early in the first set.
- However, the Ramblers used a 5-1 run midway through the set to take a 16-9 lead over the Tornado.
- Loyola would go on to close out the set 25-16 to take a 1-0 advantage in the contest.
- King started the second set by taking a 4-3 early on following an Adam Krzos kill from Nick Drooker.
- Later in the set, Jon Wheaton recorded a kill to give the Tornado a 12-11 advantage in the set.
- The Tornado used a 5-1 run to take an 18-15 lead over the Ramblers midway through the second set. However, Loyola powered back and used a strong 4-0 run to finish off the Tornado 25-23 in the second set.
- In the third set, King opened with a 4-1 run to take a 12-9 lead over the host Ramblers.
- After trading points throughout the set, the Tornado used an impressive 5-1 run to finish off the Ramblers as they took the set 25-21 following a Krzos kill.
- The third set victory for the Tornado was the first set won against a nationally ranked team in King program history.
- Loyola opened the fourth set strong as they took a 9-3 lead early in the set. However, King fought back to tie the set 11-11 after using an 8-2 run that was capped off with a Drooker service ace.
- The two teams traded points throughout the set, but the Tornado trailed 23-21 following a Sprayberry kill. Unfortunately, the Ramblers would take the next two points to finish off the Tornado 25-21 in the set and 3-1 in the match.
- Sprayberry led the way with 15 kills while Kiel Bell posted 11 kills and 13 digs for King.
- Drooker recorded 33 assists for the Tornado.
FOR THE FOES
- Collin Mahan led the way for the Ramblers with 15 kills and 10 digs.
- Jeff Jendryk posted 12 kills for Loyola.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Tonight's third set victory for the Tornado was the first set won against a nationally ranked team in King program history.
- King takes on #7 Lewis College tomorrow night at 8:00 pm in Chicago, Ill.
- Loyola hosts Lincoln Memorial University tomorrow.