FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The King University men's volleyball team traveled to Emmanuel College Saturday afternoon for a Conference Carolinas matchup. The Tornado dominated the play at the net as they recorded 9.5 total blocks in the match compared to Emmanuel's 2.0 as well as held the Lions to hit .000 for the contest. The Tornado sweep is the 13th of the season for Head Coach Ryan Booher's squad.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Emmanuel 0 (25-21, 25-14, 25-11)
LOCATION: Shaw Athletic Center; Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 15-5, 11-1 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 9-14, 5-9 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After falling behind 7-6 early in the first set, the Tornado rattled off a 7-2 run to take a 12-9 lead over the Lions. Sean Kohlhase recorded two service aces during the run for King.
- When the Tornado lead was cut to one point, King used a 6-2 run to stretch it to 19-14. Kiel Bell capped off the run with a kill from Nick Drooker.
- The Lions battled back however, and found themselves down 22-21 to the Tornado. But King did not panic and capped the set off with a 3-0 run to take the first set victory 25-21.
- Trailing in the second set 5-4, the Tornado used an 11-3 run to take a 15-8 lead over the Lions. Jeff Sprayberry recorded four kills during the run for King.
- Emmanuel could not claw back into the set and the Tornado finished off the Lions 25-14 in the second set. Sprayberry posted seven kills in the set.
- The Tornado dominated the third set as they jumped out to a 20-5 lead. Jon Wheaton capped off the huge King run with a service ace.
- Following a block by Wheaton, the Tornado defeated the Lions 25-11 in the set. King took the match 3-0 over Emmanuel.
- Sprayberry led the Tornado offense with 11 kills while hitting .455 on the day.
- Bell recorded five kills, seven digs, and three blocks for King.
- Wheaton hit .429 with four kills, four blocks and two service aces while Drooker chipped in 23 assists and Ryan Delong recorded nine digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Ackeem West led the Lions with six kills and three service aces.
- Demitrius Maloney posted 17 assists and seven digs for Emmanuel.
- King travels to North Greenville University Tuesday night for a Conference Carolinas matchup at 7:00 pm.
- Emmanuel travels to Erskine College Tuesday, April 3.