TIGERVILLE, S.C. – The King University men's volleyball team traveled to North Greenville University Tuesday night for a Conference Carolinas matchup. The Tornado offense was strong as they recorded a .324 hitting percentage on the night. An all-around strong performance by King propelled the team to a 3-0 victory over North Greenville.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, North Greenville 0 (25-18, 25-20, 25-17)
LOCATION: Hayes Gymnasium; Tigerville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 16-5, 12-1 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 11-14, 5-8 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King started the match off strong as they took an 11-4 lead early in the first set. Jeff Sprayberry recorded the back-to-back kills to start off the contest to propel the big Tornado run.
- However, the Crusaders battled back as they used an 8-3 run of their own to cut the Tornado lead to 14-12. Dalton Johnson ended the North Greenville run with a kill from Nick Drooker to take a 15-12 lead.
- King used a 6-1 run to extend their lead and take a commanding 21-14 lead over the Crusaders. Sprayberry capped off the run with a kill for the Tornado.
- Johnson finished off the set for King with a kill to give the Tornado a 25-18 first set victory.
- In the second set, King found themselves trailing North Greenville 6-5 before the Tornado went on an 8-2 run to take a 13-8 lead. A Drooker service ace capped off the run for King.
- With the score 22-18 and North Greenville on a 3-1 run, Sprayberry came through for the Tornado with a big kill to end the Crusader push.
- Sean Luhmann finished off the set for King with a kill to take the second set 25-20.
- The Tornado jumped out to a 7-3 lead early in the third set following a Kiel Bell kill.
- King used a quick 4-1 spirt to take an 18-12 advantage over the Crusaders midway through the set.
- The Tornado finish the set on a 6-2 run to take the set 25-17 and the match 3-0. During the run, four different Tornado players recorded a kill as Drooker was spreading the ball around.
- Sprayberry led the charge for the Tornado with 13 kills.
- Drooker recorded 34 assists on the night as well as six digs, two service aces, and two blocks.
- Bell posted nine kills and five digs for King while Luhmann chipped in seven kills while hitting .500 on the night.
FOR THE FOES
- Grayson Lawrence led the Crusaders with four kills.
- Dustin King recorded 10 digs for North Greenville while teammate Jake Boldog posted 19 assists and four digs.
- King will be back in action April 3 when they travel to Gaffney, South Carolina to take on Limestone College at 7:00 pm in a Conference Carolinas matchup.
- North Greenville travels to Lees-McRae College April 4.