GAFFNEY, S.C. – The King University men's volleyball pushed their winning streak to six matches with a 3-0 Conference Carolinas sweep at Limestone College on Tuesday night. The sweep marks the sixth straight sweep for the Tornado.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Limestone 0 (25-21, 25-15, 25-20)
LOCATION: Timken Center; Gaffney, S.C.
RECORDS: King 17-5, 13-1 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 8-17, 5-10 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Limestone grabbed the early lead at 8-5 before the Tornado offense got going.
- The Tornado rolled off five straight points, capped by a Sean Luhmann ace and Jeff Sprayberry kill, giving King a 10-8 lead.
- King gained separation with a 4-0 that was capped by a Kiel Bell kill that put the Tornado ahead 15-11.
- The Tornado had to hold off a run from Limestone that pulled the Saints within 21-20, but the Tornado answered by scoring four of the final five points.
- Dalton Johnson gave King a chance at set point with a kill as the Tornado took the set 25-21.
- King used a 7-1 run in the second set to open up a 14-7 lead following a Nick Drooker service ace.
- Sprayberry had a pair of kills on the spurt and Drooker and Johnson teamed up for a block.
- The Tornado then cruised to the 25-15 win that was capped by a Bell kill.
- The third set was tight the entire way with the Tornado holding the advantage throughout.
- The score was tied four times down the stretch, but King used a 4-0 run started by a pair of Sprayberry kills to take a 22-18 lead.
- Bell then ended the set and the match with another kill, giving King the 3-0 sweep.
- Sprayberry led the Tornado with 16 kills, hitting .414 in the victory.
- Bell followed with 10 kills and 14 digs for the double-double.
- Drooker handed out 31 assists to go along with seven digs.
- Johnson led King at the net with three blocks.
FOR THE FOES
- Jarrett Malone led the Saints with eight kills and Anthony Savage followed with seven kills.
- Florian Ruhm led the defense with 12 digs and Logan Riley handed out 28 assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Bell marks his third of the season.
- King has now won 12 straight sets overall and 18 straight sets in Conference Carolinas play.
- King hosts Conference Carolinas-leading Barton College at 7:00 p.m. on Friday night. King's only league defeat this season came at Barton.
- Friday is also senior night in the Student Center Complex.
- Limestone travels to Queens University on Thursday night.