BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team capped off their regular season Tuesday night when they hosted Lincoln Memorial University. The Tornado offense was strong as they hit over .300 for the match and had five players record at least six kills. The offense propelled King to a 3-0 victory over the Railsplitters. The win gave the Tornado their second straight season with at least 20 wins.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Lincoln Memorial 0
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 20-5; Lincoln Memorial 12-13
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King started the match by using a 5-2 run to take an early 8-5 lead in the first set. Jon Wheaton capped off the run with a kill.
- Later in the set, the Tornado used a 4-1 run to take an 18-11 lead over the Railsplitters. During the run, Adam Krzos recorded back-to-back kills.
- King capped off the set with a 3-0 run to take a 25-19 first set victory. In the set, Jeff Sprayberry led the Tornado with seven kills.
- In the second set, King used a 6-1 run to jump out to a 13-8 lead over Lincoln Memorial.
- The Railsplitters rallied however, and used a 9-2 run of their own to take an 18-16 lead over the Tornado.
- Later in the set, a Sprayberry kill from Nick Drooker broke a 19-19 tie to take a 20-19 lead in the set. Kiel Bell would record a kill on the very next point for King to extend their lead to 21-19.
- King ripped off three straight points to close out the second set 26-24 and take a 2-0 lead in the match. Bell and Sprayberry each recorded five kills in the set for the Tornado.
- A Bell kill broke a 10-10 tie in the third set to give King an early lead.
- However, the Tornado trailed 17-16 later in the set, but a Dalton Johnson kill brought King back to even with the Railsplitters. Krzos recorded a kill on the next point to give King a 18-17 lead.
- King used a 6-2 run that was capped off by back-to-back Wheaton kills to finish off Lincoln Memorial 25-20 in the third set and ultimately 3-0 in the match.
- Sprayberry led the Tornado with 15 kills and eight digs while hitting .314 in the match.
- Bell recorded his fifth double-double of the season with a 10 kill, 12 dig performance.
- Drooker dished out 42 assists and recorded six digs on the night for King.
- Krzos posted six kills and 10 digs for the Tornado.
FOR THE FOES
- Evan Cory led the Railsplitters with 13 kills and four digs.
- Jordan Walley recorded 10 kills while AJ Risavy dished out 29 assists and chipped in seven digs for Lincoln Memorial.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- With tonight's victory, King posted their second straight season of at least 20 wins.
- King caps off the regular season with an undefeated home record of 11-0. They also extend their winning-streak to nine games.
- Bell recorded his fifth double-double of the season with tonight's 10 kill, 12 dig performance.
- King hosts Lees-McRae College on Tuesday, April 17 in the first round of the Conference Carolinas men's volleyball tournament. The match starts at 6:30 pm in the Student Center Complex.
- Lincoln Memorial travels to compete in the IVA Tournament April 13-14.