BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team hosted Belmont Abbey College in the Conference Carolinas semifinals Friday night. The Tornado offense was dominant as they recorded a .350 hitting percentage as a team while the Crusaders hit .123 for the match. King defeated Belmont Abbey 3-1 to advance to the Conference Carolinas championship game.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Belmont Abbey 1
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 22-5; Belmont Abbey 13-16
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado took a quick 12-5 lead to open the first set following a Jeff Sprayberry kill.
- King used a 6-0 run later in the set to take a commanding 22-11 lead over Belmont Abbey. Jon Wheaton capped off the run with a thunderous kill.
- The Tornado proceeded to take the first set 25-12 over the Crusaders. Sprayberry led the charge for King with five first set kills.
- In the second set, King again jumped out to an early lead as they led 8-3 following a Sean Luhmann kill.
- After a Dalton Johnson kill, the Tornado lead was extended to 14-9. However, Belmont Abbey would bounce back and cut the King lead to 16-14.
- King responded, however, with a 6-1 run to take a 22-16 lead. Sprayberry recorded three kills during the Tornado run.
- The Tornado would go on to defeat the Crusaders 25-19 in the second set. Sprayberry posted eight kills during the set while Johnson chipped in five.
- The third set was close, but a Wheaton kill broke a 12-12 tie in the set to give the Tornado a one-point advantage.
- Kiel Bell broke an 18-18 tie with a kill of his own to give the Tornado a 19-18 lead late in the third set.
- King took a 24-22 lead over Belmont Abbey following a Wheaton kill from Nick Drooker.
- However, the Crusaders used a 5-1 run to rally and take the third set 27-25 over the Tornado. Bell recorded six kills during the set while Wheaton posted four.
- King found themselves tied 10-10 in the fourth set, but rattled of a 7-2 run to take a 17-12 advantage in the set.
- The Tornado capped the set off with an 8-2 run to finish off the Crusaders 25-15 in the set and 3-1 in the match.
- Sprayberry led the Tornado with 19 kills while hitting .375 for the match with eight digs.
- Drooker dished out 46 assists and recorded five digs and four blocks.
- Bell posted a double-double with 13 kills and 17 digs for King.
- Wheaton recorded nine kills and seven blocks while Johnson posted eight kills and four blocks.
FOR THE FOES
- Liam Maxwell leads Belmont Abbey with 19 kills and four digs.
- Brian Long and Gavin Schaffer both record 10 kills for the Crusaders.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King advances to the Conference Carolinas championship game with the win over Belmont Abbey tonight. The Tornado are in search of their first ever Conference Carolinas tournament championship.
- Bell posted his sixth double-double of the season with a 13 kill, 17 dig performance in the semifinals.
- King will host the winner of the Barton College/University of Mount Olive game tomorrow night at 6:30pm in the Student Center Complex.