BRISTOL, Tenn. – Playing their second top-10 team in as many nights, the King University men's volleyball team put together a solid effort against eighth-ranked Loyola University Chicago. The Tornado played a couple tight sets, but ultimately the Ramblers came away with a 3-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: #8 Loyola Chicago 3, King 0 (25-17, 25-10, 25-21)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 0-2; Loyola Chicago 3-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King used a 4-0 run started by a Julian Young kill to take a 4-2 lead in the opening set. Sean Kohlhase followed with an ace before Suetonius Harris and Young capped the run with kills.
- A block from Jon Wheaton and Kohlhase later pulled King within 11-10.
- However, the Ramblers scored six straight points to take control of the set.
- King couldn't mount a rally as Loyola Chicago took the set 25-17.
- The Ramblers got off to a hot start, scoring the first six points of the second set.
- Loyola Chicago closed the 25-10 win with an 8-1 run.
- The Third set was tight as the Tornado had the advantage in the early going.
- A kill from Harris and block from Dalton Johnson and Harris gave King an early 5-3 advantage.
- Harris later posted back-to-back kills and Johnson came up with a solo block to even the score 14 with a 3-0 Tornado spurt.
- However, the Ramblers answered with consecutive points to regain the advantage.
- Three straight points from Loyola Chicago gave the Ramblers a 22-18 lead as they went on to take the set 25-21 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Harris led the offense with eight kills and hit .357.
- Kohlhase followed with seven kills and five digs.
- Leo de Quadros led the defense with eight digs while Wheaton posted three blocks.
- Chandler Christy handed out 23 assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Collin Mahan led the Ramblers with 11 kills to go along with five digs and five aces.
- Paul Narup and Luke Denton followed with nine kills each.
- Garrett Zolg handed out 34 assists.
- King returns to action on Wednesday when they travel to Queens University. First serve from Charlotte, N.C. is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Loyola Chicago hosts fifth-ranked Pepperdine University on Friday.