CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The King University men's volleyball team earned their first win of the young season on Wednesday night at Queens University. The first set was tight before the Tornado pulled away to take the 3-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Queens 0 (25-21, 25-17, 25-18)
LOCATION: Curry Arena; Charlotte, N.C.
RECORDS: King 1-2, Queens 0-4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Queens jumped out to a 7-2 lead before a Julian Young kills sparked the King offense.
- Consecutive kills from Dalton Johnson and Sean Kohlhase capped a 4-0 run and pulled King within 7-6.
- Jon Wheaton later started another 4-0 spurt that gave King a 15-14 lead with a kill.
- King opened up a 22-17 advantage following a block from Chandler Christy and Wheaton.
- The Royals tried to come back late in the set, but King scored three of the final four points to take the set 25-21.
- The King offense heated up in the second set, hitting .405 in the frame.
- Suetonius Harris posted two kills on a 4-0 spurt that vaulted the Tornado into an 8-6 advantage.
- The Tornado gained separation with a 9-2 run, on which Kohlhase posted a pair of kills.
- Johnson ended the run with a block, putting King ahead 22-14.
- Wheaton later gave King the 25-17 victory with one of his six kills.
- King looked to put the third set away early, jumping out to a 5-1 lead following a block from Wheaton and Kohlhase.
- A 5-1 run, capped by consecutive kills from Kohlhase gave King a 16-9 lead in the middle of the set.
- The Tornado gradually extended their lead throughout the set before Harris gave King the 25-18 victory with a kill, giving the Tornado the sweep.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kohlhase led King with 14 kills and eight digs.
- Harris followed with 11 kills and six digs.
- At the net, Wheaton posted six blocks, including one solo stuff.
- Young added eight digs and four blocks while Leo de Quadros added eight digs.
- Christy posted 39 assists and added eight digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Nic Cavallaro led Queens with 12 kills and added five digs.
- Alexander Schinzing posted 24 assists and nine digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Kohlhase set career-highs with 14 kills and eight digs.
- King will be in action again on Friday when they travel to the University of Charleston (W.Va.). First serve is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Queens hosts Lees-McRae College on Friday.