BANNER ELK, N.C. – The King University men's volleyball team opened the Conference Carolinas season with a win at Lees-McRae College on Tuesday night. The Tornado were led in the 3-1 victory by a career night from Joshua Kim.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Lees-McRae 1 (25-14, 25-27, 25-14, 26-24)
LOCATION: Williams Gymnasium; Banner Elk, N.C.
RECORDS: King 2-3, 1-0 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 1-3, 0-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sean Kohlhase posted a pair of kills before a Kim ace gave King a 10-3 lead following a 5-0 spurt.
- The Tornado gradually pulled away the remainder of the set until Kohlhase came up with his fifth kill of the set, giving King the 25-14 victory.
- King hit .667 in the opening set, making only one attack error.
- The Bobcats grabbed the lead with the first three points of the second set.
- The Lees-McRae lead grew to 20-15 following a 4-0 run late in the set.
- King then had their backs against the wall as they trailed 24-20 before Suetonius Harris got the Tornado going.
- Harris and Dalton Johnson pulled King within one with a block and Kim evened the tally with a service ace.
- Harris and Johnson came up with another block, giving King a 25-24 lead following the 5-0 run.
- However, the Bobcats scored three straight points to take the set 27-25.
- Chandler Christy served up an ace on a short 3-0 run that gave King separation at 13-9.
- Another 3-0 spurt highlighted by kills from Kohlhase and Kim stretched the Tornado lead to 16-10.
- King later scored the final five points of the set, taking the frame 25-14.
- The Tornado broke the fourth set open with an 8-0 spurt that vaulted King into an 11-5 lead.
- Kim started the spurt with a kill and Johnson capped the run with another kill.
- King held their lead there and had a 22-16 advantage when Lees-McRae took a timeout.
- Out of the break, the Bobcats scored seven of the next eight points, evening the score at 23 and forcing a King timeout.
- Johnson and Harris put the Tornado back ahead with a block followed by a Lees-McRae point.
- A block from Kohlhase and Johnson later gave King the 26-24 set win and the match 3-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King posted double-digit blocks for the third straight match with 11 stuffs.
- Kim led the Tornado with 15 kills, hitting .387 and adding eight digs.
- Harris followed with 14 kills, seven digs and four blocks.
- Kohlhase chipped in with 13 kills and six digs.
- On the defensive side, Leo de Quadros posted eight digs and Johnson had eight blocks, two solo.
- Chandler Christy handed out 42 assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Hector Serviat led Lees-McRae with 13 kills while Drew Sims followed with 10 kills.
- Nick Cookingham handed out 36 assists and Chris Woolslayer registered 14 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Kim posted career-highs with 15 kills and eight digs.
- The eight blocks for Johnson set a career-high.
- King is in action again on Saturday when they travel to Belmont Abbey College. First serve is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Lees-McRae hosts North Greenville University on Saturday.