FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The King University men's volleyball team bounced back from a defeat on Friday night to defeat Emmanuel College on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado received career-high performances from Sean Kohlhase, Julian Young and JT Deppe in the 3-1 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Emmanuel 1 (25-20, 25-19, 20-25, 25-14)
LOCATION: Shaw Athletic Center; Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 4-4, 3-1 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 4-6, 1-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King used a 5-0 run to vault into a 9-6 lead. On the spurt, Suetonius Harris posted a pair of aces to go along with a pair of blocks.
- The Tornado gradually extended their lead, forcing a Lion timeout leading 18-13.
- Harris later gave King the 25-20 victory with a kill.
- Kohlhase started a 3-0 run with a kill that broke a 6-6 tie.
- The Tornado two more 3-0 spurts to extend their lead to 21-13 before Dalton Johnson gave King the 25-19 victory with a kill.
- Emmanuel took a 13-10 lead following a 4-0 run, and used a 3-1 to stretch their advantage to 16-11.
- King tried to comeback late in the set, pulling within 23-20, but the Lions scored the final two runs to take the set 25-20.
- The Tornado used an 8-3 run early in the fourth set to gain an 11-5 lead following a block from Young and Johnson.
- King put the set out of reach with a 6-1 run that was capped by a Kohlhase kill that gave King a 23-12 lead.
- Young closed the 25-14 victory with a kill, giving King the 3-1 win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kohlhase registered a match-high 24 kills and hit .488. He added six digs and three blocks.
- Harris followed with 13 kills and nine digs.
- Young posted a double-double with 10 kills and 11 digs.
- Deppe recorded 50 assists to go along with eight digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Don Thompson led the Lions with 22 kills and Aleksa Lakic followed with 11.
- Caleb Bonaventure led the defense with 15 digs while Demitrius Maloney posted 46 assists.
BEYOND THE BOX
- The 24 kills for Kohlhase is a career-high, besting his previous high of 22 that he set last weekend.
- Young 's 11 digs is a career-high as part of his first career double-double.
- Deppe set a career-high with 50 assists.
- King returns home to face Lincoln Memorial University on Tuesday night in the Student Center Complex at 7:00 p.m.
- Emmanuel travels to Life University on Tuesday night.