BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team returned home for the first time in nearly a month and earned a tight victory over Lincoln Memorial University. The Tornado fought back to win the second and third sets from pulling out the 3-2 victory with a 15-13 fifth set win.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Lincoln Memorial 2 (19-25, 27-25, 27-25, 20-25, 15-13)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 5-4; Lincoln Memorial 5-4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lincoln Memorial jumped out to a 6-3 lead, but King answered with a 5-2 run, evening the set at eight.
- The Railsplitters gained separation with a 5-1 run to take a 16-12 advantage.
- A block from Jon Wheaton and JT Deppe pulled King within 18-16, but that was as close as the Tornado would get as Lincoln Memorial took the set 25-19.
- Julian Young gave King an early 4-0 lead in the second set with a kill.
- Lincoln Memorial gained a 15-13 lead with four straight points before King counted with four straight points of their own.
- The Tornado held off two Railsplitter set points before scoring three straight points.
- That spurt was capped by a block from Wheaton and Deppe, giving King the 27-25 victory.
- The Tornado again got off to a hot start, opening up a 5-1 lead following a block from Dalton Johnson and Suetonius Harris.
- Lincoln Memorial countered and evened the set at seven before the teams went back-and-forth.
- The Railsplitters gained some separation with a 3-0 that gave them a 22-20 lead.
- An ace from Johnson brought King back, evening the score at 23.
- Kills from Sean Kohlahse and Young staved off a pair of Railsplitter set points before back-to-back aces from Kohlhase gave King the set 27-25.
- King scored seven of the first 10 points in the fourth set before the Railsplitters went on a 6-2 run that evened the set at nine.
- Lincoln Memorial scored three straight points to gain a lead, and following a pair of King points, the Railsplitters scored five consecutive points to take a 20-16 lead.
- The Tornado couldn't come back as Lincoln Memorial took the set 25-20.
- A block from Wheaton and Young put the Tornado ahead 3-0 in the decisive set.
- Wheaton got the Tornado offense going with a kill that broke a 7-7 tie.
- King added three points, taking an 11-7 lead.
- However, the Railsplitters came back and evened the score at 13 with a 3-0 spurt.
- Harris gave King the lead with a kill and a Railsplitter miscue gave King the 15-13 victory and the match 3-2.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kohlhase led King with 19 kills.
- Harris followed with 13 kills and 10 digs for the double-double.
- Deppe handed out 49 assists and added five digs.
- Johnson posted seven kills and three blocks.
- Leo de Quadros led the defense with 13 digs while Wheaton posted four blocks.
FOR THE FOES
- Evan Cory led Lincoln Memorial with 26 kills and nine digs.
- Johansen Negron followed with 18 kills and six digs while Danny Hermida posted 13 kills and 11 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Harris set a career-high with 10 digs and posted his first career double-double.
- King is in action again on Tuesday when they host North Greenville University at 7:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Lincoln Memorial hosts Coker College on Friday night.