BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team earned another Conference Carolinas victory, knocking off league-leader North Greenville University on Tuesday night. The Tornado topped North Greenville in four sets behind 12 blocks.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, North Greenville 1 (25-23, 25-18, 23-25, 25-21)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-4, 4-1 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 7-5, 4-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King used a 5-1 run capped by a Sean Kohlhase kill to take a 5-3 advantage.
- The teams then went blow-for-blow throughout the opening set.
- A block from Jon Wheaton and Kohlhase, followed by an ace from Kohlase gave King a 23-21 lead and force a Crusader timeout.
- Out of the break, North Greenville evened the score with back-to-back points.
- Following a Tornado point, Suetonius Harris gave King the 25-23 victory with his first kill of the match.
- King took a 13-10 lead in the second set following a block from Dalton Johnson and JT Deppe.
- The Tornado tried to put the set away with a 5-0 that put King ahead 19-13 following a Kohlhase kill.
- Three straight points gave King the 25-18 victory and 2-0 lead in the match.
- Joshua Kim started a 5-0 Tornado run that turned a three-point deficit into a 14-12 lead with a kill.
- North Greenville took a timeout as King took a 14-12 lead following the run.
- Out of the break, the Crusaders scored five-of-six points to take a 17-15 lead.
- King answered with five straight points, regaining a 20-17 advantage.
- However, the Crusaders closed the set on an 8-3 spurt, forcing a fourth set with the 25-23 victory.
- The Crusaders opened up an 18-13 advantage before Kohlhase got the Tornado offense going with a kill.
- That sparked a 5-0 run that evened the score before North Greenville came up with a point.
- King then responded with four straight points to take a 22-19 lead.
- The Tornado then scored three of the final four points to take the set 25-21 and the match 3-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kim posted 12 kills, five blocks and three digs.
- Kohlhase added 14 kills and eight digs.
- Leo de Quadros registered a match-high 18 digs.
- Deppe handed out 33 assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Cade McGee led the Crusaders with 16 kills while Jackson Gilbert posted 15 kills and 11 digs.
- Sergio Carrillo accounted for 36 assists and 15 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 18 digs for de Quadros set a career-high, topping his previous high of 15.
- King travels to Barton College on Friday. First serve from Wilson, N.C. is slated for 7:00 p.m.
- North Greenville travels to Belmont Abbey College on Tuesday.