WILSON, N.C. – The King University men's volleyball team went on the road to take on Conference Carolinas preseason favorite Barton College. The Bulldog offense was too much for the Tornado defense to slow down as Barton took the match 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 3, King 0 (25-19, 25-14, 25-17)
LOCATION: Wilson Gymnasium; Wilson, N.C.
RECORDS: King 6-5, 4-2 Conference Carolinas; Barton 8-3, 4-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams traded blows in the early going until the Bulldogs scored four straight points to break the tie.
- In all, Barton went on a 4-1 run to open up a 14-10 lead.
- King tried to fight back, but could only get within two, dropping the opening set 25-19.
- The second set was tight through the first 20 points again before the Bulldogs started to pull away.
- Barton went on an 11-2 run, breaking a tie at 11 and taking 22-13 lead.
- The Bulldogs then scored the final three points, taking the 25-14 victory by scoring 14 of the final 17 points.
- King jumped out to a 5-2 lead in the third set following a block from Jon Wheaton and Joshua Kim.
- However, Barton answered with a 7-2 to gain a 9-7 advantage.
- The Bulldogs then used a 5-1 run to gain separation and continued to gradually extend their advantage.
- King couldn't get a rally going as the Bulldogs took the set 25-17 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kim led King with six kills while Sean Kohlhase added five kills.
- Chandler Christy handed out 22 assists and Leo de Quadros accounted for seven digs.
- Wheaton posted five blocks.
FOR THE FOES
- Angelos Mandilaris led Barton with 13 kills while Vasilis Mandilaris followed with 11.
- Andrian Iglesias posted 10 kills while Oscar Fiorentino handed out 38 assists.
- Aleksa Brkovic registered 13 digs.
- King stays on the road to take on the University of Mount Olive at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Barton hosts Lees-McRae College on Saturday afternoon.