MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The King University men's volleyball team bounced back from a defeat on Friday night with a sweep of the University of Mount Olive on Saturday. The Tornado worked their way back in the first two sets before taking the final set in extra points for the 3-0 win.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Mount Olive 0 (25-22, 25-21, 26-24)
LOCATION: Kornegay Arena; Mount Olive, N.C.
RECORDS: King 7-5, 5-2 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 5-7, 5-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive opened up 9-5 lead behind a 3-0 run, and they held that advantage for the majority of the set.
- The Tornado chipped away and evened the set at 17 following a block from Dalton Johnson and Suetonius Harris.
- A 3-0 Tornado run vaulted King into a 21-19 lead and forced a Mount Olive timeout.
- Jon Wheaton gave King a chance at set point and Joshua Kim gave the Tornado the 25-22 victory with his seventh kill of the set.
- Mount Olive jumped out to a 10-5 lead, forcing a Tornado timeout.
- Out of the break, King went on a 6-1 run to even the score and force a Mount Olive timeout.
- The teams then traded points until back-to-back King points gave the Tornado a 22-20 lead and forced another Mount Olive timeout.
- Harris and Sean Kohlhase then teamed up for back-to-back kills that gave King the 25-21 victory.
- King turned a 7-5 deficit into a 10-7 advantage with a 5-0 run started by a pair of Kohlhase kills.
- The Tornado held that advantage for the remainder of the set until the Trojans made a late push.
- Mount Olive pulled within 22-21 with a 3-0 spurt and evened the score at 24 with back-to-back points.
- However, King scored the final two points, the last on a Kohlhase kill to take the set 26-24 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kim paced the offense with 12 kills and added seven digs.
- Kohlhase followed with 11 kills.
- Harris chipped in with nine kills and a team-high 11 digs.
- Chandler Christy handed out 36 assists and added eight digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Luke Visgitis led Mount Olive with 12 kills while Eric Visgitis followed with 10 kills.
- Nicholas Laxar handed out 42 assists and added six digs.
- Joel Roberts posted 13 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 11 digs for Harris sets a career-high.
- King returns home to take on Limestone College on Tuesday night. First serve from the Student Center Complex is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Mount Olive travels to Barton College on Tuesday evening.