BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball team earned another tough five-set win on Tuesday night in the Student Center Complex. The Tornado offense had three players reached double figures in kills as they defeated Limestone College 3-2.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Limestone 2 (25-23, 20-25, 25-19, 17-25, 15-10)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 8-5, 6-2 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 4-7, 3-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Back-to-back kills from Sean Kohlhase gave King a 19-17 lead in the opening set and forced a Limestone timeout.
- A block from Joshua Kim and Julian Young gave King a chance at set point, and Kim gave King the 25-23 win with his fourth kill of the set.
- Limestone got out to a 3-0 lead in the second set, but King came back to even the score at four.
- The Saints used another 3-0 run to gain the advantage and stretched their lead to 16-11 before King called for a timeout.
- King couldn't come back, however, as the Saints scored seven of the final nine points to take the set 25-20.
- King used a 4-0 run early in the third set to open up an 8-3 lead as Limestone called for a timeout.
- The Saints came back to get within 13-11, but Kohlhase responded with a kill before Young gave King a 16-11 lead with one of his two kills in the set.
- King then cruised to the 25-19 victory, scoring six of the final eight points.
- Limestone gained separation in the middle of the fourth set with a 5-0 run that broke an 11-11 tie.
- King scored three of the next four points, but it wasn't enough as the Saints took the set 25-17.
- Four straight points gave King a 6-3 lead as a Young ace forced a Limestone timeout in the decisive set.
- The Tornado held their lead there before consecutive kills from Suetonius Harris and Dalton Johnson gave King the 15-10 victory to take the match 3-2.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kohlhase led King with 16 kills while Kim followed with 14.
- Harris posted 13 kills and eight digs while hitting .370.
- Chandler Christy handed out 48 assists and added nine digs.
- Noah Melendez led the defense with 12 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Geraldo Rivera led Limestone with 15 kills, 14 digs and four blocks.
- Jordan Barreto followed with 13 kills and 10 digs while Jon Igo chipped in with 12 kills, eight digs and six blocks.
- Logan Riley handed out 50 assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Melendez set a career-high with 12 digs.
- King hosts Lees-McRae College on Wednesday, February 27. First serve from the Student Center Complex is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Limestone travels to North Greenville University on Friday.