BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball had to come from behind on Friday night to earn a victory against Queens University. The Royals won the opening two sets before the Tornado offense got rolling. King hit over .400 in the final two sets, take the 3-2 comeback win.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Queens 2 (25-27, 14-25, 25-19, 25-19, 15-10)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex, Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 10-5; Queens 4-14
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opened set was tight the entire way as King jumped out to a 5-2 lead following a block from Dalton Johnson and Joshua Kim.
- Queens responded, taking a 10-8 lead following a 4-0 spurt.
- The teams then went back-and-forth until the Royals scored the final three points to take the set 27-25.
- Queens gained separation in the second with a 3-0 run to take an 11-8 lead.
- The Royals later scored six-of-seven points to open up a 20-13 advantage as they took the set 25-14.
- The momentum continued into the third set as Queens jumped ahead 5-0.
- Chandler Christy ended the spurt with a kill and got the Tornado offense going.
- That sparked a 7-2 run for the Tornado as they evened the set at seven with four straight points.
- King later scored four straight points, capped by a block from Christy and Julian Young that gave King a 15-13 lead.
- The Tornado pulled away down the stretch, scoring three straight points to open up a 22-17.
- King then closed the set with three consecutive points as Kim gave King the 25-19 victory with one of his four kills in the set.
- King used a 6-2 run early in the fourth set to take a 10-7 lead following another Kim kill.
- The Tornado again pulled away later in the set, scoring seven of the final nine points to take the set 25-19.
- Johnson extended the King lead in the fifth set to 5-2 with one of his two kills in the set.
- Queens came back to even the score before King broke the tie with back-to-back points.
- Three straight points, including a Sean Kohlhase kill gave King a 13-9 lead and forced a Royal timeout.
- Kohlhase gave King a chance at match point and Suetonius Harris came up with a block, giving King the 15-10 win and 3-2 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kim led the Tornado with 18 kills, 10 digs and four blocks.
- Kohlhase followed with 15 kills and eight digs.
- Johnson added 12 kills and a team-high eight blocks.
- Harris chipped in with seven kills and 10 digs.
- Christy handed out 54 assists and added seven digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Nic Cavallaro posted 28 kills and six digs to lead Queens.
- Tristan Santoyo added 12 kills and six digs.
- JP Payne added 10 kills while Ruben Greenstein accounted for 12 digs.
- Alexander Schinzing handed out 58 assists and Josh Bragg accounted for 18 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Kim is his second of the season.
- Kim set a career-high with 18 kills and matched a career-best with 10 digs.
- Christy handed out a career-high 54 assists.
- Johnson also set a career-high with 12 kills.
- King travels to take on second-ranked University of Hawaii on Thursday night. First serve is scheduled for 12:00 a.m. (ET).
- Queens hosts Belmont Abbey College on March 13.