HONOLULU, Hawaii – The King University men's volleyball team opened the Outrigger Resorts Invitational against the hosts and second-ranked University of Hawaii on Thursday night. The Rainbow Warriors got off to a hot start to take the 3-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: #2 Hawaii 3, King 0 (25-8, 25-15, 25-7)
LOCATION: Stan Sheriff Center; Honolulu, Hawaii
RECORDS: King 10-6, Hawaii 13-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hawaii jumped out to a 12-1 lead following six kills, a block and service ace in the early going.
- Joshua Kim and Dalton Johnson tried to get the Tornado going with a pair of kills, as King scored four of the next six points.
- However, the Hawaii offense was too much for the Tornado, taking the set 25-8.
- King again found themselves in a hole in the second set as the Rainbow Warriors posted five straight kills to take a 5-1 lead.
- A Sean Kohlhase kill and a block from JT Deppe and Johnson started a 5-3 King run down the stretch, but it wasn't enough as Hawaii took the set 25-15.
- Suetonius Harris recorded a kill early in the third set for the Tornado, but Hawaii followed with five straight points.
- The run continued throughout the set as the Rainbow Warriors didn't allow King to scored back-to-back points in the set, taking the 25-7 and 3-0 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kohlhase led King with four kills.
- Noah Melendez posted six digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Hawaii hit .540 in the match.
- Dalton Solbrg led Hawaii with eight kills while Joe Worsley handed out 26 assists.
- Gage Worsley added 11 digs.
- King takes on sixth-ranked Pepperdine University on Friday night at 9:00 p.m. (ET) in their second match of the tournament.
- Hawaii takes on 15th-ranked Ball State University on Friday night.