HONOLULU, Hawaii – The King University men's volleyball team closed the Outrigger Resorts Invitational squaring off against their third ranked team in as many days. The Tornado were led by Joshua Kim who hit .545, but it was enough as 15th-ranked Ball State University came away with the 3-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: #15 Ball State 3, King 0 (25-22, 25-19, 26-24)
LOCATION: Stan Sheriff Center; Honolulu, Hawaii
RECORDS: King 10-8, Ball State 10-10
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams traded runs in the early going as Ball State would take a lead, but King would come back and even the score.
- King scored back-to-back points, the first on a Kim kill to take an 18-16 lead that forced a Ball State timeout.
- The Cardinals came back to even the scored and take a lead by scoring four of the next five points.
- King evened the score at 20 following a Sean Kohlhase kill, but Ball State closed the set on a 5-2, taking the set 25-22.
- Kohlhase pulled King within 10-9 and 11-10 with a pair of kills in the second set.
- However, the Cardinals responded with five straight points to gain separation.
- King made a run late, but it wasn't enough as Ball State took the set 25-19.
- Ball State opened up an 11-7 lead in the third set, but Kim started a 4-0 Tornado spurt with a kill.
- The Tornado continued to fight back throughout the set as the Cardinals held a slim advantage the rest of the way.
- A block from Julian Young and Suetonius Harris, followed by a Harris kill evened the tally at 22.
- Kim and Chandler Christy each tallied kills, pulling King back to even at 23-23 and 24-24.
- However, the Cardinals then scored the final two points to take the set 26-24 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kim led the Tornado with 15 kills, against only three errors for an attack percentage of .545.
- Kohlhase followed with six kills and four digs.
- Christy handed out 26 assists.
- Harris and Noah Melendez also accounted for four digs each.
FOR THE FOES
- Matt Szews posted 20 kills and seven digs.
- David Siebum added 11 kills while Quinn Isaacson dished out 39 assists.
- King returns home to take on Quincy University on Friday. First serve from the Student Center Complex is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Ball State hosts Saint Francis University on Friday.