TIGERVILLE, S.C. – The King University men's volleyball team continued their stellar play at the net in their sweep at North Greenville University on Tuesday night. King set a season-high in blocks, led by a career-high from Jon Wheaton.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, North Greenville 0 (26-24, 25-21, 25-16)
LOCATION: Hayes Gymnasium; Tigerville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 15-9, 11-2 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 15-10, 8-6 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King scored three straight points, capped by back-to-back aces from Sean Kohlhase that put the Tornado ahead 10-8.
- The Tornado then scored six-of-seven points to open up a 16-10 lead.
- However, the Crusaders went a pair of runs late, first pulling within 17-15 with four straight points.
- King bounced back to take a 22-16 lead following a kill from Joshua Kim, but North Greenville came back to even the score at 22 with six straight points.
- The teams then traded points until Suetonius Harris gave King the 26-24 victory with his third kill of the set.
- Harris closed a 4-0 spurt that vaulted King into a 6-4 lead with a block.
- Later King opened up a 12-7 lead following a block from Wheaton and Kohlhase.
- A pair of blocks followed by an ace from Kohlhase and Crusader attack error gave King a 17-12 lead and forced a North Greenville timeout.
- However, North Greenville came back to even the score at 19 before King answered with a block from Dalton Johnson and JT Deppe and kill from Kohlhase.
- King then closed the 25-21 victory on a 4-1 run as Kohlhase registered consecutive kills to end the set.
- King started to pull away from the Crusaders with a 4-0 run that gave the Tornado a 12-7 lead following kills from Harris and Wheaton.
- The Tornado then put the contest away by scoring the final five points.
- King posted a pair of blocks on the spurt that gave the Tornado the 25-16 victory and the sweep.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Wheaton led king with 11 blocks, two solo.
- Kim followed with six blocks and Kohlhase added four stuffs. Kim added a team-high seven digs.
- Kohlhase led the offense with 12 kills and Harris followed with eight kills and four digs.
- Deppe handed out 28 assists and added three digs and four blocks.
FOR THE FOES
- Aaron Campbell led North Greenville with 18 kills and eight digs.
- Jake Boldog handed out 34 assists and added four digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King posted a season-high 16.5 blocks, reaching double figures for the third straight match.
- Wheaton led the way with a career-high 11 blocks, his second match with at least 10 blocks this season.
- King travels to Limestone College on Saturday. First serve from Gaffney, S.C. is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- North Greenville hosts Belmont Abbey College on Saturday.