GAFFNEY, S.C. – The King University men's volleyball team came away with another Conference Carolinas victory on Saturday afternoon at Limestone College. The Tornado offense got off to a hot start before the Tornado had to fend off some hot play late from the Saints. King took the contest 3-1 behind a double-double from Joshua Kim.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Limestone 1 (25-21, 25-23, 16-25, 25-21)
LOCATION: Timken Center; Gaffney, S.C.
RECORDS: King 16-9, 12-2 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 11-11, 7-8 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kim opened the match with eight kills in the first set as the Tornado hit a blistering .500 in the 25-21 victory.
- The Tornado opened a up a 10-6 lead with a 4-1 on kills from Dalton Johnson, Kim and Sean Kohlhase.
- A 4-0 King spurt stretched the lead to 18-12 before King held off a late Limestone run and Kim gave King the 25-21 win with a kill.
- Suetonius Harris became the focus of the Tornado offense in the second set, pounding out eight kills in the set.
- The set was tight the entire way until King took a 23-20 lead with back-to-back points.
- Following three straight points from Limestone, Harris came up with back-to-back kills, giving King the 25-23 victory.
- Limestone held an early advantage in the third set before a pair of Tornado points pulled King within 8-6.
- However, Limestone scored 12 straight points, opening up a 20-6 advantage.
- King tried to comeback, scoring five straight points, but it wasn't enough as the Saints took the set 25-16.
- King grabbed an 11-7 lead with a 4-0 capped by a block from Jon Wheaton and Kim.
- Kohlhase later served up consecutive aces around a Limestone timeout that put King ahead 16-9 and capped a 5-0 spurt.
- Limestone answered with five straight points before King could get a side out.
- The Saints later pulled within 22-21, but Harris and Wheaton answered with kills before King took the set 25-21 and the match 3-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Harris led King with 16 kills and added five digs.
- Kohlhase followed with 14 kills and nine digs.
- Kim posted a double-double with 11 kills and 11 digs to go along with four blocks.
- Wheaton led the Tornado with five blocks and added six kills while hitting .667.
- Chandler Christy handed out 35 assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Jordan Barreto led Limestone with 13 kills and nine digs.
- Andrew Holman and Francisco Salinger Cenzual followed with 12 kills each.
- Logan Riley handed out 42 assists and Michal Podgorzak posted 11 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Kim marks his third of the season.
- King posted 10 blocks in the match, marking their fourth straight match in double figures. That is their longest streak of the season.
- King returns home to face Conference Carolinas leading Barton College on Friday night. First serve from the Student Center Complex is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Limestone travels to Coker College on Tuesday.