BRISTOL, Tenn. – A night after pulling into a first place tie, the King University men's volleyball team clinched a share of the Conference Carolinas regular season title with a victory over the University of Mount Olive. The Tornado topped the Trojans in four sets to claim their third straight conference title.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Mount Olive 1 (25-19, 16-25, 25-16, 25-17)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex, Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 18-9, 14-2 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 11-15, 9-7 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King opened the match with five straight kills, opening up a 6-0 lead before the Trojans called for a timeout.
- The Tornado lead swelled to 15-4 following kills from Dalton Johnson, Chandler Christy and Sean Kohlhase.
- Mount Olive tried to chip away at their deficit, but King took the set 25-19 behind a .419 attack percentage.
- The tided turned in the second set as the Trojans opened up a 7-2 advantage.
- The King deficit grew to 18-9 before they took the set 25-16 to even the match.
- Kohlhase put the Tornado ahead 10-5 in the third set with a kill that forced a Mount Olive timeout.
- King the scored 7-of-10 points to open up a 17-9 following a block from Johnson and Joshua Kim as the Trojans took their second timeout.
- The Tornado then closed the set on a 4-0 run as Kim gave the Tornado the 25-16 victory with his second kill of the set.
- The Tornado grabbed the lead early in the fourth set and gradually extended their advantage.
- Christy gave King an 11-6 lead with an ace before a block from Johnson and Kohlhase put the Tornado ahead 18-11.
- Kim later gave King the 25-17 and 3-1 victories with his fourth kill of the final set.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kohlhase led the Tornado with 12 kills and a .391 attack percentage.
- Kim followed with 11 kills and a .318 attack percentage. He also added nine digs.
- Christy handed out 42 assists and added 10 digs four the double-double.
- Jon Wheaton posted nine kills and hit .533 in the match.
FOR THE FOES
- Luke Visgitis led Mount Olive with 14 kills.
- Shane Yeo accounted for 38 assists while Max Cristina posted 10 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King has shared the last three Conference Carolinas regular season titles with Barton College as both finished this season with 14-2 records in Conference Carolinas.
- The Tornado will be the second seed in the Conference Carolinas Men's Volleyball Championship that starts on Saturday.
- The double-double for Christy is the senior's first career double-double, coming on senior night.
- He also posted a career-high with 10 digs.
- The Tornado host seventh-seeded Emmanuel College at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday in a Conference Carolinas quarterfinal.
- Mount Olive is the fourth seed and will host fifth seed North Greenville University.