BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's volleyball dropped a tough five-set match to Saint Francis University (Pa.) on Friday night in the Student Center Complex. The Tornado took the first set in extra points and held the upper hand throughout the match. However, the Red Flash took the final two sets, taking the come-from-behind 3-2 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Saint Francis 3, King 2 (28-30, 25-16, 21-25, 25-19, 25-12)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 2-5; Saint Francis 2-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sean Kohlhase got the Tornado offense going early with a kill as the Tornado took an early 3-0 lead.
- The Tornado held the lead until a 3-0 Saint Francis run evened the score at 13.
- King later held off one set point with back-to-back points before the Red Flash countered with consecutive points.
- Kohlhase came up with his sixth kill of the set as King scored back-to-back points to take a 28-27.
- Following a Red Flash point, the Tornado scored the final two points to take the set 30-28.
- The Saint Francis offense got going in the second set, hitting .429 with 12 kills in the frame.
- The Red Flash scored four straight points to open up a 12-8 lead before taking a 16-10 advantage that forced a King timeout.
- King couldn't recover as Saint Francis took the set 25-16.
- Three straight Tornado points forced a Saint Francis timeout with King leading the third set 16-13.
- Out of the break, Douglas Florencio came up with a block to extend the King lead to 17-13.
- The Tornado lead grew to 20-15 following a Radek Bryja kill that forced another Saint Francis timeout.
- Saint Francis cut the King lead to 22-20, but Kohlhase registered a kill before back-to-back Diego Marcano kills gave King the 25-21 victory.
- The Red Flash jumped out to a 7-3 lead in the fourth set and led 12-8 before the Tornado made a run.
- A block from Aaron Milstead and Bryja highlighted a 4-0 spurt that evened the set at 12 with a block.
- However, Saint Francis countered with a 9-3 run to take a 21-15 lead following a King timeout.
- The Tornado couldn't get back in the set as Saint Francis forced a fifth set with the 25-19 victory.
- Saint Francis started the fifth set with four straight points to take the early advantage.
- King tried to work their way back, but each time they came close, the Red Flash came up with a kill.
- The Tornado pulled within two twice, the last time at 14-12 as Saint Francis took the set 15-12 and the match 3-2.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Marcano led King with 16 kills to go along with four digs.
- Kohlhase followed with 14 kills and five digs.
- Leo de Quadros paced the back row with 10 digs.
- Milstead and Bryja recorded three blocks each.
- JT Deppe handed out 28 assists to go along with six digs and three kills.
FOR THE FOES
- Joshua Blair led Saint Francis with 17 kills and 11 digs.
- Michael Fisher followed with 16 kills and eight digs.
- Blake Liprando chipped in with 14 kills and eight digs.
- B.J. Blair handed out 37 assists while Roman Szwabinsky dished out 18 helpers.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Marcano's 16 kills marked a career-high.
- De Quadros set a season-high with 10 digs.
- King opens Conference Carolinas play on Saturday when they host Belmont Abbey College at 2:00 p.m.
- Saint Francis travels to Lincoln Memorial University on Saturday afternoon.