HARROGATE, Tenn. – The King University traveled to take on Lincoln Memorial on Friday night and the Tornado won the first two sets. However, the Lincoln Memorial offense got going to win the final three sets and take the come-from-behind 3-2.
FINAL SCORE: Lincoln Memorial 3, King 0 (23-25, 22-25, 25-13, 25-20, 15-10)
LOCATION: Mary Mars Gymnasium; Harrogate, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 7-6; Lincoln Memorial 7-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King got off to a hot start, hitting .464 with 15 kills in the opening set.
- Sean Kohlhase started the match with a kill and a Jack Sarnowski ace gave King an early 4-0 lead.
- The Railsplitters came back to even the score at 17 and took a 19-18 lead before the Tornado scored four of the next five points.
- A block from Julian Young and Diego Marcano gave King a 22-20 lead as Lincoln Memorial call for a timeout.
- Marcano later gave King the 25-23 win with a kill.
- The Tornado trailed 11-10 in the second set before scoring six of the next eight points to take a 16-13 lead.
- An ace from Marcano gave the Tornado that spread as the Railsplitters called for a timeout.
- The Tornado had to hold off a late Lincoln Memorial run, but Marcano again came up with a kill to give King the 25-21 victory.
- Lincoln Memorial then turned it up in the third set, hitting .429 and holding King to a -.261 attack percentage.
- The Railsplitters jumped out to 9-3 lead and didn't look back, taking the set 25-13.
- King jumped ahead early in the fourth set, but the Railsplitters came back and evened the score at seven.
- Following a pair of Lincoln Memorial aces that gave the Railsplitters an 18-15 lead, King called for their first timeout.
- The Tornado came back and pulled within 22-20 following a Marcano kill, but it wasn't enough as the Railsplitters took the set 25-20.
- King raced out to a 5-1 lead on Kohlhase kill as the Railsplitters called for a timeout.
- It proved to be a good break for the Railsplitters as the scored 10 of the next 11 points to take an 11-6 lead.
- King couldn't recover as Lincoln Memorial took the set 15-10 and the match 3-2.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Marcano led King with 21 kills and added two digs and two blocks.
- Radek Bryja posted 10 kills and eight digs.
- Kohlhase chipped in with nine kills and six digs.
- Sarnowski handed out 39 assists and added four digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Evan Cory led Lincoln Memorial with 17 kills, seven digs and three blocks.
- Johansen Negron followed with 10 kills and five digs.
- Ryan Foy and AJ Risavy handed out 21 assists each.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Marcano's 21 kills set a career-high.
- Bryja set career-highs in kills and digs.
- King returns to Conference Carolinas play on Thursday at Limestone College. First serve from Gaffney, S.C. is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Lincoln Memorial hosts Lees-McRae College on Saturday.