BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team came back from a split on Friday with another split in Conference Carolinas action on Saturday when they hosted Barton College. The Bulldogs rode their pitcher to a 2-0 victory in game one before the Tornado used a pair of hits from Hannah Devotie and Alliyah Sands to take a 5-3 victory behind a complete game from Lauren Smith.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 2, King 0; King 5, Barton 3
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 16-26, 10-10 Conference Carolinas; Barton 18-21, 6-10 Conference Carolinas
- Devotie paced the King offense in game one, going 2-for-3, and in game two she ripped her first home run of the season, an inside the park home run inside the first base bag that scored two.
- Hayley Smothers also recorded two hits in game one before recording one hit and scoring once in game two.
- Sands drove in three in game two with her lone hit of the day.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Barton got on the board in the second inning when they loaded the bases with no outs. The Tornado then got an out before Megan Kelly singled through the right side to score one.
- King then escaped the jam as they turned a double play end the threat and keep their deficit at 1-0.
- The score remained the same until the fifth inning when Taylor Bowden ripped a leadoff double and later scored on a Rachel Jordan triple, extending the lead to 2-0.
- King tried to put together a rally in the seventh as Amber Walker ripped a one-out single to left field and Smothers followed with a single down the left field line.
- However, Bulldog pitcher Liz White got a pair of line outs to end the game and give Barton the 2-0 win.
Winning Pitcher: White (10-10) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Smothers (9-12) 7.0 IP, 9 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Jennifer Kern got the King offense going with a leadoff single in the bottom of the first inning. Devotie then followed with a sharp hit groundball inside the first base bag that rolled all the way to the corner, allowing Devotie to circle the bases and give King a 2-0 lead.
- Both pitchers then settled in, over the next two and one-half innings, only allowing two hits in that time.
- The King offense came back to life in the fourth inning when Hannah Smith ripped a one-out single up the middle. Morgan Lowe then reached on an infield single. Following an out, Smothers singled to left field, loading the bases.
- Sands then came up with the big hit, a three-run double to left center, extending the King lead to 5-0.
- Barton made things interesting in the top of the seventh as they put their first two runners on base. Following an out, Samantha Bass ripped a fly ball into right field that landed and rolled into the corner as she circled the bases for the inside the park home run, cutting the Bulldog deficit to 5-3.
- However, Lauren Smith got the final two outs to finish the complete game and give King the 5-3 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Lauren Smith (6-8) 7.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Hannah Jones (7-10) 6.0 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Bass and Jordan recorded two hits apiece in game one while Bass collected two more hits in game two where she drove in three.
- Brianna Jackson also posted two hits in game two, going 2-for-2.
- King remains at home on Monday to face Tusculum College. First pitch is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Barton travels to take on Lees-McRae College on Sunday.