BURLINGTON, N.C. – The second seed in the Conference Carolinas Tournament, Pfeiffer University used one big inning to defeat seventh seed King University to open their weekend. The Falcons scored six runs in the third inning and used a stellar pitching performance to take the game 6-0.
FINAL SCORE: Pfeiffer 6; King 0
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Pfeiffer 34-15; King 17-30
- Sam Jarmusch got the start for Pfeiffer and allowed one hit and struck out four in three innings.
- Callie Kuykendall followed and tossed three innings, and striking out one.
- Sydney Poole closed the game, tossing the final inning.
- Hayley Smother tossed all seven innings for King, allowing six runs, two earned on five hits.
- For Pfeiffer Kiana Millsaps drove in three with a triple to lead the way.
- Emma Tuttle posted two hits and drove in two.
- For King, Hannah Devotie picked up the only hit.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game was a pitcher's duel, and Pfeiffer took advantage of a Tornado miscue in the third inning.
- Tuttle started the frame with a double and Bailey Sherrill reached on an error and the next batter was hit by a pitch to load the bases.
- At that point, Millsaps ripped a triple that cleared the bases and put Pfeiffer ahead.
- Jessica Jackson followed with a single to score Millsaps and Tuttle later drove in a pair with a single up the middle, stretching the Falcon lead to 6-0.
- From their neither team registered a hit as Pfeiffer took the game 6-0.
- Pfeiffer now takes on sixth seed Belmont Abbey College in the winner's bracket on Friday afternoon.
- The Tornado take on the loser of No. 1 Limestone College and No. 8 Barton College on Friday at 12:00 p.m.