BURLINGTON, N.C. – Playing their second straight elimination game, third seed University of Mount Olive escaped to live another game with a thrilling 5-4 come-from-behind victory over fourth seed Erskine College. The Trojans scored three runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to take the contest 5-4 and move on in the Conference Carolinas Softball Tournament.
FINAL SCORE: Mount Olive 5; Erskine 4
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Erskine 27-20; Mount Olive 32-19
- Madison Johnston started in the circle for Mount Olive and tossed five innings, allowing four runs, three earned on nine hits.
- Julie Hodges relieved her and allowed one hit over the final two innings, earning her 13th win of the season.
- For Erskine, Candace Fitch tossed six innings, allowing three runs on five hits before being relieved by Kaylin White.
- White tossed the final inning and allowed two runs on one hit.
- Allen was the hero for Mount Olive, driving in two runs and going 2-for-3 with a run scored.
- Savannah Becker and Anna Ingram also drove in runs in the contest.
- For Erskine it was Reagan Davis that led the way, going 3-for-4 from the leadoff spot with one run scored.
- Britton Young followed, going 2-for-4 and driving in one.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Erskine had the better chances early, stranding a pair of runners in each the first and third innings.
- However, Mount Olive struck first in the bottom of the third when Kelsey Akers drew a two-out walk and stole second.
- She later scored on a Savannah Becker single, and Anna Ingram gave Mount Olive a 2-0 lead with single that scored Becker.
- Mia Blochviak and Reagan Davis started a rally in the fifth inning for Erskine as Blochviak walked and Davis reached on an infield single.
- Brittany Reynolds dropped down a sacrifice that was misplayed, scoring one and putting runners on second and third. Sydney Smith followed with a single to right center, scoring one and Lydia Trexler plated another with a single to right center.
- Britton Young made it a 4-2 Flying Fleet lead when she laced a single to right field that scored Smith.
- The score remained the same until the seventh inning when the Trojans sparked a rally. Caitlin Ewers started the inning with a single and was pinch ran for by Regan Anderson.
- Following a pair of outs it looked as though Erskine would get out of the inning, but Becker was hit by a pitch to put two runners on, bringing Kayla Allen to the plate.
- Allen laced a double over the left fielder's head, plating both runners and evening the score at 4-4. She advanced to third on the throw home, putting the winning run 60 feet away.
- Ingram followed and hit a groundball to shortstop that was misplayed, allowing the winning run to score as Mount Olive took the game 5-4.
- Mount Olive now faces the winner of No. 6 seed Belmont Abbey College and No. 7 seed King University. That contest will start at about 5:00 p.m. on Friday.
- Erskine is eliminated from the 2016 Conference Carolinas Tournament.