BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team opened up their season against Bellarmine University on Saturday afternoon. Michaela Morris led the way for the Tornado going 3-5 on the day with five runs batted in. King fell 11-4 in the first game, and narrowly lost 7-4 in the second.
FINAL SCORE: Bellarmine 11, King 4; Bellarmine 7, King 4
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 0-2; Bellarmine 2-0
- Morris was 1-for-2 in the first game with a solo home run and a sac fly. She went 2-for-3 in the second game with a three-run double.
- Hannah Devotie went 3-to-4 in the first including a RBI single.
- Summer Hayes went 2-to-4 in the first game with a double and was 1-for-3 in the second game with an RBI single.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado fell behind 2-0 in the top of the first but came back to cut the lead to 2-1 in the bottom half from a RBI single by Devotie, scoring Hayes.
- King was down 3-1 in the bottom of the fourth when Morris hit a sac fly scoring Jennifer Kern who had singed earlier in the inning.
- Hayes had a key double in the bottom of the fifth, scoring Kaycee Casteel to tie the game up at 3-3.
- The Knights had four runs in the top of the sixth and seventh. Rachel Fox had a two-run triple in the stop of the sixth and Megan Bretz had a two-run single in the seventh.
- Morris added a solo homerun in the bottom of the sixth but the Tornado fell 11-4.
Winning Pitcher: Alexis Sumner (1-0) 4.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Haley Smothers (0-1) 5.1 IP, 11 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- King knotted the game up at 1-1 in the bottom of the second when Hayes drew a bases loaded walk to score Morris.
- Bellarmine scored three runs in each of the top of the fourth and fifth to take a 7-1 lead. In the bottom of the fifth Jennifer Kern singled through the left side and Olivia Lawson singled. Hannah Riddle then walked and Morris cleared the bases with a three-run double cutting into the lead 7-4.
- Morgan Matthews came into pitch for the 6th and 7th innings, allowing no runs but the Tornado weren't able to muster any more offense, falling 7-4.
Winning Pitcher: Sumner (2-0) 2.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 0 SO
Save: Sabrina Fussenegger (1) 2.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
Losing Pitcher: Emman Hughes (0-1) 3.1 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Fox went had two hits in game one, driving in four.
- Bretz went 5-8 on the day with three RBI's and Erica Knollman scored three runs for the doubleheader.
- King is in action again on February 11th when they stay at home to play a doubleheader against Carson-Newman University. First pitch is set for 1:00 pm.
- The Knights of Bellarmine travels to play Mars Hill College tomorrow.