CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The King University softball team had their first road games of the season against Queens University of Charlotte on Tuesday. Both games came down to the wire, the Tornado falling 9-8 in game one and 7-6 in game two.
FINAL SCORE: Queens 9, King 8; Queens 7, King 6
LOCATION: Park Road Park Complex; Charlotte, N.C.
RECORDS: King 0-6; Queens 3-7
- Morgan Lowe was 5-for-8 on the day with five runs batted in, including a two-run home run, and scored twice.
- Kaycee Casteel was 4-for-8 in the doubleheader, scoring three runs, had two RBI doubles, and added a stolen base.
- Hannah Riddle was 3-for-7 in the two games with two runs scored, two runs batted in, had a double, a walk, as well as a stolen base.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado got in a hole early when the Royals scored three runs in the bottom of the first, a Courtney Pearson two-run double highlighted the inning.
- King struck with a five run top of the third inning when Danielle Parks doubled, later scoring on an error. Riddle doubled to right center, scoring Hannah Devotie who had singled and stole third earlier in the inning. Casteel doubled to knock in Riddle and then Lowe hit a two-run home run making the score 5-3.
- The Tornado added another run in the top of the fifth inning when Lowe had an RBI single, driving in Casteel who had stolen second previously giving King a two run cushion 6-4.
- Queens had another three run inning in the sixth to take the lead back 7-6.
- King responded with a two run top of the seventh to recapture the lead 8-7 on Lowe single that drove in Erin Roper who had pinch ran for Jennifer Kern who doubled to start the inning. Kelsey Nave than tripled to score Lowe.
- Two RBI singles allowed Queens to walk-off against the Tornado in the bottom of the seventh. Alyssa Stricker had the game winning single, driving in Sabrina Martinez.
Winning Pitcher: Courtney Pearson (1-4) 3.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Haley Smothers (0-3) 6.1 IP, 11 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- King got on the board in the top of the first when Devotie singled, stole second advancing to third on an error and was then driven in by Lowe on a single to left.
- Queens knotted the game at 1-1 in the bottom of the third when Sydney Ditto singed home Elaina Frantellizzi who had doubled earlier in the inning.
- The Royals added two more runs in the fourth and fifth innings to take the lead 5-1. Strickler and Sydney Ditto each had two-run home runs.
- The Tornado rallied to score five runs in the top of the seventh to take the lead back 6-5, all runs coming with two outs. Becca Gold led off with a single, then Casteel doubled her in. Riddle singled to drive in Casteel, followed by Lowe who singled to center. Kern then reached on an error, allowing Riddle to score. Maness then hit a two-run single up the middle, scoring Kern and Roper who had pinch ran for Lowe.
- Queen again came from beyond in the bottom of the seventh, scoring two to take the second game 7-6. Ditto had the walk-off two-double for the Royals, driving in Breanna Martinez and Kelly Winter.
Winning Pitcher: Pearson (2-4) 7.0 IP, 12 H, 6 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 8 SO
Losing Pitcher: Morgan Matthews (0-1) 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Sabrina Martinez went 5-6 in the double-header with two runs, two stolen bases, two runs batted in, including a double and solo home run.
- Sydney Ditto was 5-9 in the two games with two runs scored, five runs batted in, including a two-run home run and the game two winning two-run double.
- King is in action again on Friday when they host UVa-Wise. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 pm.
- Queens next plays on the road against Erskine College on Saturday.