BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University dropped a pair of contests to Lee University on Wednesday afternoon. The Flames took a tight game one 3-0 before capitalizing in King miscues to take game two 9-1.
FINAL SCORE: Lee 6, King 0; Lee 9, King 1
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 17-13; Lee 20-9
- Michaela Morris led the way offensively, going 2-for-3 in game two with one run batted in. She also record on hit in the opener.
- Hannah Devotie added three hits from the leadoff spot, going 2-for-3 in game one.
- Candace Maness scored one run and added two hits on the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- The Flames threatened with two base runners nearly every inning, but Tornado pitcher Emma Hughes did a good job working out of trouble.
- However, she couldn't get out of the third and fourth innings unscathed. Kayla Louie singled to start the third and stole second before scoring on a groundout to give Lee the lead.
- Annabeth Pruett double in the fourth inning and scored on a Stevie Baird single, stretching the lead to 2-0.
- The King offense threatened in the fourth inning as Kay Brokering tried to start a rally with a single up the middle. Morris followed with a single down the right field line and the pair moved up on a groundout.
- However, the Tornado couldn't push a run across as the Flames held their 2-0 lead.
- Brooklynn Frazier added an insurance run with a home run in the seventh, and the Tornado couldn't come back as Lee took the contest 3-0.
Winning Pitcher: Leigh Beatenbough (10-4) 7.0 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO
Losing Pitcher: Hughes (10-3) 7.0 IP, 11 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The Flames took advantage of King defensive miscues in the first two innings of game two. Lee scored a pair of unearned runs in the first inning and add three more unearned in the second inning to take a 5-1 lead.
- Morris got King on the board in the bottom of the first inning when she drove in Maness who singled earlier in the inning.
- Lee added two on a Baird double in the third inning and Pruett made it a 9-1 Flame lead with a run scoring single in the fourth inning.
- The Tornado couldn't muster any more offense as Lee took the game 9-1.
Winning Pitcher: Taylor Moran (5-2) 4.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Morgan Matthews (3-6) 3.0 IP, 8 H, 7 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Louie went 3-for-3 in the opening contest and scored a run while Frazier and Beatenbough registered two hits apiece in the contest.
- In game two, Beatenbough drove in a pair, going 2-for-3 while Baird went 2-for-4 and drove in two from the leadoff spot.
- King returns to Conference Carolinas play on Saturday when they host Belmont Abbey College at 2:00 p.m.
- Lee hosts fifth-ranked Valdosta State University on Friday and Saturday.