BANNER ELK, N.C. – The King University softball team looked to get back on track following a tough weekend as they swept a Conference Carolinas doubleheader from Lees-McRae College on Tuesday afternoon. The Tornado took game one 6-1 before winning the nightcap 8-0.
FINAL SCORE: King 6, Lees-McRae 1; King 8, Lees-McRae 0
LOCATION: LMC Softball Field; Banner Elk, N.C.
RECORDS: King 25-17, 11-5 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 14-30, 6-14 Conference Carolinas
- The offense was led by a trio of players, Hannah Riddle who went 4-for-5 on the day with three walks, two doubles and three runs scored.
- Kaycee Casteel also accounted for four hits, going 3-for-4 with two runs scored in game one.
- Erin Roper drove in four runs on the day, going 3-for-6 on the day, including 2-for-3 and driving in three in game one.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- The Tornado put pressure on the Bobcat defense from the onset as Hannah Devotie started the game with a walk and Casteel followed with a single.
- Devotie scored on a throwing error as Casteel stole second and Casteel scored on Riddle single, giving King the early 2-0 lead.
- The score remained the same until the fifth inning when Casteel started the frame with a single and later scored on a Jennifer Kern sacrifice fly, putting King ahead 3-0.
- King tried to put the game out of reach in the seventh inning as Roper laced a bases loaded double that scored three, giving the Tornado a commanding 6-0 lead.
- Tornado pitcher Emma Hughes got into a bit of trouble in the seventh inning, but she induced a double play that scored a run to help get out of the inning. She then got a fly out to give King the 6-1 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Hughes (14-5) 7.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Kara Cunningham (7-10) 7.0 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 4 BB, 8 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- King didn't waste time getting on the board again in game two, plating four runs in the top of the first inning that was started by a Devotie infield single.
- Riddle drove in one with a double, Kay Brokering plated one with a sacrifice fly before Michaela Morris scored Riddle with a single to left.
- Summer Hayes made it a 4-0 King lead with a double to left field that scored Morris.
- On the other side, Raven Allender didn't give up a hit until the third inning, and that was the only hit she would give up in the contest.
- The freshman only allowed three base runners all game, all coming in the third inning, one on an error and another on a full count walk.
- King put the game out of reach in the fourth inning with four more runs, this rally started by a Casteel leadoff walk.
- Brokering drove in a pair with a triple later in the inning before Roper and Lawson made it an 8-0 Tornado lead with run-scoring singles.
- Allender retired the last eight batters that she faced, giving King the 8-0 win and her first career shutout.
Winning Pitcher: Allender (3-1) 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
Losing Pitcher: Gabrielle Moyer (3-4) 3.0 IP, 10 H, 7 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Noel Cassidy went 2-for-3 for the Bobcats in game one and Chelsea Digregorio went 1-for-1 in the nightcap.
- King hosts 21st-ranked Limestone College on Friday. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- Lees-McRae hosts North Greenville University on April 22.