BURLINGTON, N.C. – Top seed Pfeiffer University got all they could handle from eighth seed Lees-McRae College in their first game of the Conference Carolinas Tournament. The Falcons came back from a 2-0 deficit eventually taking the contest 8-3.
FINAL SCORE: No. 1 Pfeiffer 8, No. 8 Lees-McRae 3
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Pfeiffer 41-4; Lees-McRae 14-33
- For Pfeiffer, Chandler Walker ripped two-run home run and scored a pair of runs.
- Emma Tuttle also drove in a pair, going 1-for-2 on the day.
- Kara Cunningham ripped the home run for Lees-McRae while Kirsten Doss and Sarah Tucker both recorded two hits on the day.
- Sydney Poole got the win for Pfeiffer, tossing three and two-thirds innings and giving up three hits.
- Kiana Millsaps go the start and lasted two and one-thirds innings.
- For Lees-McRae, Cunningham lasted four and two-thirds innings, giving up eight runs, five earned on five hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lees-McRae didn't wasn't any time getting on the board as the second batter of the game, Cunningham laced a home run to left center field.
- The Bobcats left a pair of runners on base in the first inning before stretching their lead to 2-0 on a Caitlyn Ray double that scored Sarah Stallings in the second inning.
- In the bottom of the second inning, Pfeiffer scored one run on a bases loaded walk before scoring another with a stolen base, evening the score at 2-2.
- Lees-McRae regained the lead third inning on a Karly McRary single up the middle that plated Kirsten Doss.
- However, Pfeiffer got their first hit of the game in the bottom of the third inning, a two-run home run from Walker, giving the Falcons a 4-3 lead.
- The Falcons broke the game open in the fifth inning, scoring four runs to take an 8-3 lead.
- In the frame, Abi Peck and Vada Blue Sherrill came up with RBI singles and Emma Tuttle ripped a two-run single up the middle.
- The Falcons worked around a pair of runners in the final two innings, taking the contest 8-3.
- Pfeiffer takes on fifth seed Erskine College later tonight.
- Lees-McRae faces sixth seed University of Mount Olive in an elimination game.