BURLINGTON, N.C. – Third seed North Greenville University advanced to Sunday's Conference Carolinas Tournament championship game with a 3-2 win over fifth seed Erskine College on Saturday. The Crusaders scored three runs in the first inning and pitcher Brooklyn Fort made them stand up.
FINAL SCORE: No. 3 North Greenville 3, No. 5 Erskine 2
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: North Greenville 34-17; Erskine 20-23
- Heather Wade led North Greenville with a pair of hits while Kaitlyn Wagers drove in a pair.
- For Erskine it was Sydney Smith with two runs batted in to lead the way.
- Fort tossed all seven innings, allowing two runs on six hits for North Greenville.
- Sydney Davis started for Erskine and lasted one-third of an inning, allowing three runs, two earned on three hits.
- Sheridan Butcher threw the final five and two-thirds innings, allowing no runs on five hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Grace DeBoer started a North Greenville rally in the first inning with a walk before back-to-back singles loaded the bases.
- A passed ball scored the first run before Wagers drove in a pair with a single, giving the Crusaders a 3-0 lead.
- Lydia Trexler and Smith started a two-out rally with back-to-back singles in the fourth inning before Sydney Grimes came up with a double to score both runs, cutting the Erskine deficit to 3-2.
- The score remained the same until the Flying Fleet tried to start a rally in the seventh inning.
- Baylee Browning tried to get the offense going with a pinch-hit, one-out walk. Brittany Rhinehardt reached on fielder's choice to put two runners on with two outs.
- However, Fort struck out the final batter, giving North Greenville the 3-2 win.
- North Greenville advances to Sunday's championship at 12:00 p.m.
- Erskine next plays the winner between Limestone and Pfeiffer on Saturday evening.