BURLINGTON, N.C. – Coming through the losers bracket is not easy, the top seed in the Conference Carolinas Softball Tournament won three games to stay alive. The Falcons defeated fifth seed Erskine College 7-2 to advance to Sunday's championship game.
FINAL SCORE: No. 1 Pfeiffer 7, No. 5 Erskine 2
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: Pfeiffer 44-5; Erskine 20-24
- Makenzie Pennell, Kiana Millsaps and Rachel Crowder all had two hits for Pfeiffer with Crowder driving in a pair.
- Sydney Grimes led Erskine, going 2-for-4 with one run scored.
- Kaitlin MacMillan started and tossed three and one-thirds innings, allowing one run on three hits.
- Kennedy Lester earned the win, tossing one and two-thirds innings while Caitlin Christian threw the final two innings.
- For Erskine it was Sheridan Butler that got the start and tossed four and one-thirds innings, allowing five runs, two earned on six hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Erskine got on the board first when Sydney Smith walked and Sydney Grimes singled with one out. Grimes later came in to score on a Falcon defensive miscue, giving the Flying Fleet the 1-0 lead in the second inning.
- Kiana Millsaps evened the game for Pfeiffer in the fourth inning when she laced a double that scored Makenzie Pennell, evening the score.
- The Falcons broke the contest open in the fifth inning, scoring six runs and taking advantage of a pair of Erskine defensive miscues.
- Stephanie Fortner drove in one with a bunt and Pennell plated another one. Rachel Crowder came up with a two-run single through the left side, giving Pfeiffer the 7-1 lead.
- Erskine loaded the bases in the sixth inning, but the Falcons turned a double play to keep the score at 7-1.
- The Flying Fleet added a run in the seventh on a Regan Davis single and had the bases loaded, but Christian didn't allow an more runs, getting the final two outs to give Pfeiffer the 7-2 win.
- Pfeiffer will take on North Greenville in the championship game on Sunday at 12:00 p.m. If the Falcons will need two wins to take the tournament title while North Greenville only needs one win.
- Erskine is eliminated.