HICKORY, N.C. – The King University softball team traveled to Lenoir-Rhyne University to face Shippensburg University and UVa-Wise. The Tornado comeback came up short against Shippensburg, falling 7-6 early in the day before UVa-Wise took a 5-4 win in eight innings later in the day.
FINAL SCORE: Shippensburg 7, King 6; UVa-Wise 5, King 4 (F/8)
LOCATION: Bears Field; Hickory, N.C.
RECORDS: King 1-3; Shippensburg 4-3; UVa-Wise 1-1
- Jenna Burnett went 5-for-7 on the day and drove in four runs with a double.
- Katelyn Davidson recorded four hits and scored a pair of runs.
- Summer Hayes drove in four runs, lacing a double and home run on the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- Hannah Riddle tried to spark a one-out rally in the first with a double and later scored on a Burnett two-out single to put King ahead.
- However, the Raiders answered with five runs in the top of the second inning. The frame was highlighted by a two-run double from Tara Bicko and a two-run single from Kayal Bonawitz.
- The lead nearly grew in the top of the third, but Emma Hughes escaped a bases loaded jam with a strikeout.
- Burnett got the Tornado on the board again in the third when she laced a double to right center that scored Davidson.
- The Tornado looked to cut into the deficit in the fifth as Burnett drove in another run and King loaded the bases with two outs. However, King couldn't push any more runs across as the Raiders led 5-3.
- Shippensburg scored a pair of insurance runs in the sixth inning, taking advantage of a pair of King defensive miscues.
- The Tornado didn't go down easy in the seventh as Davidson and Burnett started the frame with back-to-back singles.
- Following a pair of outs, Hayes laced a home run down the left field line, pulling King within one.
- However, the Tornado couldn't get another rally going, falling 7-6.
Winning Pitcher: Taryn Wilson (4-2) 7.0 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 5 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Emma Hughes (0-2) 3.0 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Bonawitz went 3-for-4 and drove in two while Mehan Klee scored twice with a pair of hits.
- Bicko also drove in two runs and scored once.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The Tornado got a pair of hits in the first inning, but a double play ended the rally.
- UVa-Wise opened the scoring with three unearned runs in the bottom of the second inning. Two scored on a Nikki Smith double.
- King answered in the top of the third as Davidson ripped a single that scored Maness and Burnett drove in Hannah Riddle with a sacrifice fly.
- Erin Roper started a two-out rally in the sixth inning with a single and later scored on a Katie McCann single to even the score at 3-3.
- The Tornado threatened in the seventh with a pair of two-out hits, but couldn't push any runs across.
- Leslie Odom then sat down the Cavaliers in order in the bottom of the inning to send the game to extra innings.
- Hayes gave King the lead with a sacrifice fly to score Bailey Deason.
- However, Lucindy Lawson then hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the inning to give UVa-Wise the 5-4 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Kailyn Spencer (1-0) 8.0 IP, 13 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Leslie Odom (1-1) 7.1 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Zoe Millard went 2-for-4 from the top of the lineup and Smith drove in a pair of runs.
- Lawson drove in two and scored once with one hit on the day.
- King travels to take on UVa-Wise on Tuesday. First pitch for the doubleheader is slated for 1:00 p.m.