WISE, Va. – The King University softball team traveled to take on UVa-Wise on Tuesday night at the Cavaliers came away with a pair victories. King dropped game 3-0 before falling late in game two 5-4.
FINAL SCORE: UVa-Wise 3, King 0; UVa-Wise 5-4
LOCATION: Cavaliers Field; Wise, Va.
RECORDS: King 1-5; UVa-Wise 3-1
- Kay Brokering registered three hits, one home run, scored one run and drove in one in the twinbill.
- Katie McCann registered a pair of hits in game two.
- Michaela Morris and Hannah Riddle each recorded two hits on the day. Riddle ripped a home run and a double and drove in two runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- The Cavaliers started the scoring early, plating a two-out run on a Kaylee Jones double in the bottom of the first to take the lead.
- The King offense struggled to get going against Cavalier pitcher Taylor Brandts who only allowed four runs and struck out 11 in the contest.
- In the second, the Cavaliers threatened for more runs as they loaded the bases, but Rachel Farmer escaped the jam for the Tornado.
- UVa-Wise added a pair of runs in the fifth inning on a Jones two-run home run, giving the Cavaliers a 3-0 lead.
- King didn't go down easy, getting a single from Brokering and a double from Erin Roper in the seventh.
- However, Brandts got the final two outs to give UVa-Wise the 3-0 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Taylor Brandts (1-1) 7.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 11 SO
Losing Pitcher: Rachel Farmer (0-1) 6.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- King grabbed the lead early, scoring a pair of runs on Riddle's first home run of the year. Candace Maness scored on the blast after reach on a hit by pitch to start the game.
- The Tornado then got back-to-back one-out hits, but couldn't push any more runs across.
- UVa-Wise cut into their deficit with a Lucindy Lawson home run in the second.
- The Cavaliers evened the score at 2-2 on a Samantha Ely sacrifice fly in the third inning.
- Maness gave the lead back to King in the sixth inning when she drove in Roper with a single, putting the Tornado ahead 3-2.
- However, the Cavalier offense erupted in the sixth inning for three runs. The big blow was a pinch-hit, two-run double from Madison David that gave UVa-Wise a 5-3.
- Zoe Millard then singled to give UVa-Wise a 5-3 lead going to the seventh.
- Brokering ripped a home run in the seventh inning, pulling King within one.
- However, Brandts got the final two outs, giving the Cavaliers the 5-4 win.
Winning Pitcher: Raychel Lapallo (1-0) 6.0 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO
Save: Taylor Brandts (1) 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Emma Hughes (0-3) 6.0 IP, 10 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Ely posted three hits and score two runs on the day.
- Jones drove in three on two hits and scored once.
- Lawson scored twice, recorded two hits and drove in one.
- King travels to the Coker Tournament this weekend where they will face the University of Charleston (W.Va.) at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday and Shepherd University later that night at 5:30 p.m.
- UVa-Wise takes on Mars Hill University and Francis Marion University on Saturday in Florence, S.C.