HARTSVILLE, S.C. – The King University softball team opened their weekend with a pair of wins over the University of Charleston (W.Va.) and Shepherd University on Saturday. The Tornado opened with a come-from-behind 9-5 win over Charleston before defeating Shepherd 8-1 in the nightcap.
FINAL SCORE: King 9, Charleston 5; King 8, Shepherd 1
LOCATION: Byerly Park; Hartsville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 3-5; Charleston 0-3; Shepherd 1-1
- Hannah Riddle and Kay Brokering recorded five hits and three runs batted apiece on the day with Brokering ripping a home run.
- Katelyn Davidson laced two doubles and drove in three for the Tornado.
- Summer Hayes also drove in three runs, gong 3-for-4 in the game against Charleston.
HOW IT HAPPENED CHARLESTON
- A pair of walks put Tornado runners on in the first inning, and Jenna Burnett came up with the hit to score Candace Maness and give King the early lead.
- Charleston got a two-run home run to give the Golden Eagles at 2-1 lead after one.
- Hayes followed with a single in the second, scoring Kaycee Casteel and evening the score at 2-2.
- In the third, Brokering put King ahead 3-2 with a single that scored Davidson.
- However, the lead didn't last long as the Golden Eagles scored a pair of runs on a Danielle Norton single in the bottom of the inning to regain the lead.
- The Tornado jumped ahead for good in the fifth on three run-scoring singles from Hayes, Maness and Riddle.
- Charleston scored one in the bottom of the inning before the Tornado tried to put the game out reach in the sixth inning.
- Hayes and McCann had back-to-back RBI doubles before Riddle made it a 9-5 lead with a single that scored McCann.
- Leslie Odom got the final six outs, giving King the 9-5 win and her first career save.
FOR THE FOES
- Norton went 2-for-2 with two runs batted in.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME SHEPHERD
- Shepherd grabbed the lead with back-to-back two-out doubles in the first, but the Tornado responded in the bottom of the inning.
- Davidson drove in Maness to even the score before Riddle scored on a wild pitch. Brokering made it a 3-1 lead with a single that scored Davidson.
- The score remained the same until Riddle drove in Danielle Parks with a single in the fourth inning.
- Brokering then laced a home run in the fifth inning, extending the Tornado lead to 5-1.
- Davidson put the game out of reach in the sixth inning when she ripped a two-out double that scored Riddle and Casteel to give King a 7-1 lead.
- Burnett then drove her in for an insurance run going to the seventh.
- Odom made it stand up in the seventh, working around a pair of runners to give King the 8-1 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Emma Hughes (1-3) 5.0 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Lori Sturgill (0-1) 3.2 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Alexis Shearer and Kaitlyn Konopka led the Rams with two hits each.
- King takes on West Virginia Tech on Sunday at 11:00 a.m. in Hartsville, S.C. and Coker College at 3:00 p.m.