YOUNG HARRIS, Ga. – The King University softball team came away with a split against Georgia College on Saturday afternoon. The Bobcats took game one 9-3 before the Tornado offense came alive in the nightcap, with the 10-5 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Georgia College 9, King 3; King 10, Georgia College 5
LOCATION: E.D. Rivers Field
RECORDS: King 6-6; Georgia College 9-7
- Katelyn Davidson paced the Tornado offense, going 5-for-8 on the day with a double, one run batted in and two runs scored.
- Candace Maness, Erin Roper and Hannah Riddle all posted three hits on the day. Riddle ripped a double and home run, driving in two on the day and scoring five times.
- Roper, along with Jenna Burnett and Kay Brokering drove in two runs each.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- Sutton Long gave the Bobcats a 2-0 lead with a two-run doubles to center in the second inning.
- The Bobcats stretched their lead to 5-0 with three runs in the third, on squeeze bunt, sacrifice fly and single.
- King got on the board in the third as Roper drove in Riddle with a groundout. Davidson later scored on a passed ball, cutting the Tornado deficit to 5-2.
- Long ripped a three-run home run in the fifth and the Bobcats added another to put the game out of reach.
- Brokering drove in one for the Tornado in the fifth, and King threatened with a pair of runners in the sixth and loaded the bases in the seventh.
- However, the Tornado couldn't push any more runs across, falling 9-3.
Winning Pitcher: Becca Meade (5-1) 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO
Save: Rebecca Lawrence (2) 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Emma Hughes (1-4) 4.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The nightcap was a see-saw affair as the Bobcats struck first in the second inning with a pair of runs, highlighted by a home run from Caitlyn Davis.
- However, King answered in the top of the third as Burnett evened the tally with a two-run single.
- Brokering followed with a single to give King the lead and Michaela Morris made it a 4-2 Tornado advantage with a single that scored Burnett.
- Georgia College regained a 5-4 lead with a three-run fourth, highlighted by a Holland Coursey two-run single.
- King was quick to answer on a Roper single that scored Brokering, evening the score.
- A double steal for Roper and Bailey Deason put the Tornado back on top.
- Following another run, Riddle ripped a two-run home, stretching the Tornado lead to 9-5 after five.
- King tacked on an insurance run on a two-out Davidson single that scored Riddle in the top of the seventh inning.
- Following a one-out single, Leslie Odom induced a double play to give King the 10-5 win and the complete game victory.
Winning Pitcher: Leslie Odom (3-1) 7.0 IP, 10 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Christine Carver (4-4) 2.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Davis and Sarah Couch posted five hits on the day to lead the Bobcat offense.
- Amber Coy and Long each registered four hits in the doubleheader. Long drove in five runs, all in game one.
- King takes on host Young Harris College in a doubleheader starting at 4:30 p.m. on Sunday.
- Georgia College faces Wingate University in a doubleheader on Sunday afternoon.