CENTRAL, S.C. – The King University softball team opened Conference Carolinas play with a pair of road wins at Southern Wesleyan University on Friday evening. The Tornado took game one 8-2 before scoring twice in the seventh inning of game two for the 3-2 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 8, Southern Wesleyan 2; King 3, Southern Wesleyan 2
LOCATION: Varsity Field; Central, S.C.
RECORDS: King 11-11, 2-0 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 5-20, 0-2 Conference Carolinas
- Kay Brokering had a big game to start the day, going 3-for-3 with a pair of doubles and drove in four. She then scored the game-winning run in the seventh inning of game two.
- Hannah Riddle posted four hits on the day and scored three runs while driving in one.
- Summer Hayes also posted four hits on the day, and Erin Roper accounted for two hits in the nightcap, including the game-winner for the Tornado in the seventh inning.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- Brokering gave King a 1-0 lead with a two-out double that scored Riddle in the first inning.
- King later plated four runs in the third inning, started on a single from Riddle that scored Candace Maness.
- Riddle later scored on a Brokering double before Jenna Burnett scored Brokering with a double.
- Hayes made it a 5-0 King lead with a single that scored Burnett.
- In the fourth inning, Brokering came up with a two-out, two-run single to stretch the Tornado lead to 7-0.
- King scored another two-out run in the fifth inning as Kaycee Casteel drove in Katie McCann with a single to left field, stretching the Tornado lead to 8-0.
- Leslie Odom was impressive in the circle for the Tornado only allowing one hit through the first four innings. However, the Warriors got to Odom in the fifth, scoring a pair of unearned runs to cut their deficit to 8-2.
- Odom did strand the bases full of Warriors as she induced a flyout to end the inning.
- Raven Allender relieved Odom and didn't allow a base runner over the final two innings, giving King the 8-2 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Leslie Odom (5-3) 5.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Lucy Wolff (0-4) 4.1 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 5 BB, 3 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The nightcap was a pitcher's duel between Allender of King and Hunter Hoskins early as the teams combined for two hits through the first three innings.
- King broke through in the fourth inning as Riddle started the inning with a double. She later scored on a two-out infield single from Hayes, giving King the 1-0 lead.
- The score remained the same until the bottom of the sixth inning when the Warriors plated a pair of runs, the first came on a Makaila Irby double, evening the score.
- King had a chance to get out of the inning, but a defensive miscue allowed another run to score, giving Southern Wesleyan the 2-1 lead.
- Rachel Farmer then struck out back-to-back batters to end the inning and bring the Tornado to the plate.
- Katelyn Davidson sparked a rally with a one-out double and later scored on a Warrior defensive miscue with two outs to even the tally.
- Roper then came up with a single to right field, scoring Brokering who walked earlier in the inning to put the Tornado ahead.
- Farmer worked around a one-out single in the seventh, but got the final two outs to give King the 3-2 win and sweep.
Winning Pitcher: Rachel Farmer (3-2) 1.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Hunter Hoskins (5-10) 7.0 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 0 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Becca White and Lexi Thompson led the Warriors with two hits each.
- Thompson scored one run and Irby drove in one for Southern Wesleyan.
- King stays on the road to face North Greenville University on Saturday. First pitch for the Conference Carolinas doubleheader is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Southern Wesleyan hosts Lees-McRae College on Saturday afternoon.