TIGERVILLE, S.C. – Following a sweep to open Conference Carolinas play on Friday, the King University softball team came back to split with North Greenville University on Saturday. The Crusaders won game one 8-0, but King came back behind Leslie Odom to take the nightcap 5-0 for the split.
FINAL SCORE: North Greenville 8, King 0; King 5, North Greenville 0
LOCATION: Jan McDonald Field; Tigerville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 12-12, 3-1 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 14-8, 3-1 Conference Carolinas
- Summer Hayes paced the King offense, going 3-for-5 on the day and driving in two runs.
- Katie McCann and Jenna Burnett also posted two hits on the day, each driving in one.
- Hannah Riddle added two hits on the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- King threatened with a pair of runners in the first inning, but couldn't push a run across as Crusader pitcher Amanda Coffrin got out of the inning.
- North Greenville used that momentum to score seven runs in the bottom of the first inning. The big hits came from Jaelin Griffin and Haley Gray, both ripping two-run singles in the frame.
- King again threatened in the second inning, loading the bases on a pair of hits, but again couldn't push any runs across.
- The Crusaders added a run in the second inning and that was all Coffrin needed as she didn't allow another Tornado hit over the final three innings, giving North Greenville the 8-0 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Amanda Coffrin (10-1) 5.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Emma Hughes (2-6) 4.0 IP, 13 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The Tornado offense continued to knock on the door early in the nightcap, loading the bases in the second inning, but King couldn't get the key hit as they left the bases loaded.
- King finally broke through in the third inning as Kaycee Casteel manufactured a run, scoring on an error to put the Tornado ahead 1-0.
- McCann made it a 2-0 lead when she drove in Roper in the fourth inning.
- The Tornado tried to put the game out of reach in the fifth inning as Burnett drove in Katelyn Davidson and Hayes later plated Hanna Adams and Danielle Parks to put King ahead 5-0.
- Odom worked out of a jam in the sixth inning as the Crusaders loaded the bases, but Odom got the final out to keep King ahead.
- She then got the final three outs in the seventh, giving King the 5-0 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Leslie Odom (6-3) 7.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: MacKenzie Dyson (2-4) 2.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Ashton Wither and Gray led North Greenville with four hits apiece. Wither drove in three and Gray drove in two.
- Brooklyn Stone and Griffin posted three hits each with Griffin scoring twice.
- The Tornado travel to Lincoln Memorial University on Wednesday afternoon. First pitch from Harrogate, Tenn. is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- North Greenville hosts Mars Hill University on Thursday afternoon.