BELMONT, N.C. – The King University softball team came away with another split, this time at Belmont Abbey College. King jumped out to take game one 8-0 behind their offense, but fell in the second game of the twinbill 8-4.
FINAL SCORE: King 8, Belmont Abbey 0; Belmont Abbey 8, King 4
LOCATION: Crusader Field; Belmont, N.C.
RECORDS: King 13-13, 4-2 Conference Carolinas; Belmont Abbey 10-22, 3-5 Conference Carolinas
- Jenna Burnett led the King offense, going 5-for-6 with three runs batted in. She also scored one run.
- Hannah Riddle ripped a home run, four hits and scored a team-high five runs on the day.
- Kay Brokering scored a pair of runs on two hits while Summer Hayes drove in two on two hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- Riddle got the Tornado on the board with a two-out home run in the first inning.
- In the third inning, Riddle started a Tornado rally with a leadoff walk. She later scored on a Burnett single.
- King later got a pair of run-scoring doubles in their five-run explosion that extended their lead to 5-0.
- Riddle started another rally in the fourth inning with a single. She later scored and King added another, pushing the Tornado advantage to 8-0.
- That was all pitcher Leslie Odom needed as she tossed the complete game, only allowing two hits and strike out five.
Winning Pitcher: Leslie Odom (7-3) 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Ivorie Maltby (3-6) 2.2 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 0 SO
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The Crusaders threatened with a pair of runners in the first inning of the nightcap before breaking through in the second inning.
- Alexis Rogers and Alexis Pereiro each posted run-scoring singles in the inning before the Crusaders scored a pair of runs on a Tornado defensive miscue to take a 4-0 lead.
- King cut into their deficit with three runs on a RBI singles from Brokering, Burnett and Hayes in the top of the third inning.
- Belmont Abbey stretched their lead to 6-3 with runs in the third and fourth innings before King pulled back within two with a single tally in the fifth inning.
- The Crusaders added two more unearned runs in the fifth inning to take an 8-4 lead.
- King couldn't get their offense going again as the Crusaders took the contest 8-4.
Winning Pitcher: Annabeth Watkins (4-9) 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
Losing Pitcher: Leslie Odom (7-4) 2.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Alexis Pereiro led the Crusader with three hits. She also scored twice and drove in one.
- Alexis Rogers posted a pair of hits, scoring twice and driving in one.
- Claire Doyle scored twice on two hits, including one double.
- King hosts Milligan College on Sunday. First pitch is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Belmont Abbey travels to Newberry College on Saturday.