BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University softball team took their first home sweep of the season, taking two from Milligan College on Sunday afternoon. The Tornado took game one 9-4 behind a seven-run fourth inning before coming back to take game two 5-3 behind a four-run sixth inning.
FINAL SCORE: King 9, Milligan 4; King 5, Milligan 3
LOCATION: King Softball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 15-13; Milligan 10-10
- Hannah Riddle led the way for King, going 3-for-6 with a double and triple. She also scored three runs.
- Hanna Adams also went 3-for-6 on the day, scoring once and driving in one.
- Kay Brokering was hit by a pitch three times in game one and ended the day going 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles and two runs scored.
- Jenna Burnett and Katelyn Davidson each drove in three runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME ONE
- Burnett gave King an early 2-0 lead with a two-run single in the bottom of the first inning that scored Riddle and Brokering.
- Milligan evened the score on an Erica Roller two-run double and grabbed the lead with a run on a wild pitch. Rachel Coffey gave the Buffaloes a 4-2 lead with a two-out run scoring single.
- Riddle, Summer Hayes and Burnett all drove in runs to give King a 5-4 lead in the fourth inning.
- Later in the inning, Davidson laced a double to center field that scored three. Azlee Sells gave King a 9-4 lead with a run scoring groundout.
- Rachel Farmer entered the circle in the fifth inning and didn't allow a base runner over the final three innings, giving King the 9-4 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME TWO
- The Buffaloes struck first in the nightcap, scoring a pair of runs on a groundout and later a single from Jenna Gilbert in the second inning.
- Sells cut the Tornado deficit to 2-1 with a two-out single that scored Riddle who started the inning with a triple.
- Milligan added one in the sixth inning before the Tornado offense responded in the bottom of the sixth.
- Erin Roper drove in one with a groundball, and a Buffalo miscue allowed the tying run to score for the Tornado.
- Hayes then laced a double to left field that scored Roper, giving King the lead.
- Adams then drove in Hayes, giving King a 5-3 lead.
- Following a leadoff single in the seventh, King turned a double play and Farmer got the final out to give King the 5-3 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Raven Allender (2-1) 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Brianna Snyder (0-1) 5.2 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Save: Rachel Farmer (2) 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Roller drove in a pair on one hits and scored one in the opening contest.
- In game two, Gilbert went 2-for-3 and drove in two.
- King is in action on Wednesday when they travel to Lincoln Memorial University. First pitch from Harrogate, Tenn., is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- Milligan travels to Brevard College on Tuesday afternoon.