HARROGATE, Tenn. – The King University went on the road and took their second straight sweep with a pair of wins at Lincoln Memorial University. The Tornado took game one 1-0 behind a stellar pitching performance from Leslie Odom before the offense led King to a 7-4 game-two victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 1, Lincoln Memorial 1; King 7, Lincoln Memorial 4
LOCATION: Neely Field; Harrogate, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 17-13; Lincoln Memorial 19-11
- Kay Brokering went 5-for-5 on the day with a pair of walks to lead the Tornado offense.
- Katie McCann and Hannah Riddle posted three hits each, including Riddle's eighth home run of the year.
- For Riddle, that extends her hitting streak to 14 games.
- Katelynn scored a team-high two runs and Erin Roper drove in a pair.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tornado threatened with a pair of two-out runners in the first inning, but couldn't push a run across.
- King again had a pair of runners in the third inning, but Railsplitter pitcher Brianna Taylor again got out of the jam.
- In the fifth inning, McCann started the frame with a single up the middle. After she stole second, Riddle drove in her in with a single up the middle, putting the Tornado ahead 1-0.
- On the other side, Odom retired the first seven batters she faced and only allowed two baserunners in the first five innings.
- In the sixth, Lincoln Memorial had runners on second and third with one out, but Odom got a pop out and fly out to end the threat.
- Odom then retired the side in order in the seventh, giving King the 1-0 win.
Winning Pitcher: Leslie Odom (9-4) 7.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
Losing Pitcher: Brianna Taylor (8-7) 7.0 IP, 8 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- King grabbed the lead with a run in the top of the second, but the Railsplitters answered with an unearned run in the bottom of the frame.
- Riddle gave the lead back to King with a home run in the third inning before the Tornado posted three runs in the fourth inning.
- Jenna Burnett doubled to score Brokering in the fourth. Later in the inning, Summer Hayes ripped a double that scored pinch runner Hanna Adams.
- McCann then made it a 5-1 Tornado lead with a triple that scored Hayes.
- The Tornado lead grew to 6-1 following an Roper sacrifice fly that scored Katelyn Davidson in the fifth inning.
- Lincoln Memorial then began chipping away, scoring an unearned run in the fifth inning before Elise Bruce ripped a home run in the sixth, cutting the King lead to 6-3.
- Roper tacked on an insurance run for the Tornado in the seventh inning with a two-out single that scored Burnett.
- Lincoln Memorial got one back with two outs in the seventh, but Rachel Farmer finished the game with a strikeout, giving the Tornado the 7-4 win.
Winning Pitcher: Emma Hughes (3-6) 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
Losing Pitcher: Justice Smith (11-4) 7.0 IP, 11 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
Save: Rachel Farmer (3) 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Ty-Kella Goins led the Railsplitters with three hits, including a triple.
- Ashley Hunter and Grace Cochran registered two hits each on the day.
- The Tornado travel to Limestone College on Friday for a Conference Carolinas twinbill at 2:00 p.m.
- Lincoln Memorial travels to Queens on Friday.