BURLINGTON, N.C. – The Conference Carolinas Softball Championship started with a tight contest between third seed North Greenville University and sixth seed Belmont Abbey College. North Greenville got a pair of insurance runs late to take the contest 3-0.
FINAL SCORE: No. 3 North Greenville 3, No. 6 Belmont Abbey 0
LOCATION: Springwood Park; Burlington, N.C.
RECORDS: North Greenville 30-13; Belmont Abbey 18-33
- Kate Lee drove in a pair for North Greenville and Taylor Koon posted a pair of hits.
- For Belmont Abbey, Melissa Neyhouse posted a pair of hits.
- Amanda Coffrin tossed all seven innings, allowing only four hits for North Greenville. She struck out six batters.
- Ivorie Maltby tossed four innings, allowing only one run on three hits for Belmont Abbey.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Belmont Abbey threatened to score in the third inning as they loaded the bases with a single and a pair of walks.
- However Coffrin got a groundout back to the circle to end the threat.
- Brooke Wade started got the North Greenville offense going with a triple in the third, and later scored on a Hannah Gravely groundout to shortstop.
- Kate Lee gave North Greenville a couple insurance runs with a two-out, two-run double in the 6th inning, giving the Crusaders a 3-0 lead.
- That was all Coffrin needed as she sat down Belmont Abbey in order in the seventh to give North Greenville the win.
- North Greenville takes on the winner between second seed Erskine College and seventh seed University of Mount Olive at 7:00 p.m.
- Belmont Abbey takes on the loser between top seed Limestone College and eighth seed Barton College at 5:00 p.m.